Looking to purchase my first turntable and need help.
Apr 20, 2013 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Kent Nova

New Head-Fier
I am looking into buying my first turntable. I have narrowed it down to a few options but was looking for some help in making the final choice. I have a pair of B&W 684s connected to a Sony DA3600ES A/V receiver. I also have a Grado SR80 and AKG 171 studio headphones. The receiver has a phono line in, so a phono pre-amp is not high on my list at the moment, since I can upgrade later. On to the short list.

Rega RP1 Union Jack (I like the Union Jack plinth, and it comes with the Preformence Pack installed)
Rega RP3 (This excedes my budget slighty, but if the benefits are worth the extra money, I'd rather spend a bit more for the extra sound quality.)
Pro-Ject Xpression Classic (A nice middle ground price wise between the two Regas. If I need to buy a phono pre-amp I'll have money left over for it.)
Pro-Ject Xperience+ Basic (At the upper limits of my budget. Again, if the benefets outweigh the costs it will be worth it.)

Between the two companies, which is a better choice? Also, is the more expensive model worth the price? Is there a noticable difference in RP3 vs. RP1 and Xperience vs. Xpression? I listen to a bit of everything except rap, metal, and country.

Thanks for your help!

Apr 21, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 2
When I A/B tested a ProJect Debut Carbon against a Rega RP-1 the only difference I heard was better bass extension from the Rega. Both units sound pretty good, but if I had to choose I would go with the Rega.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back