Looking to purchase cheap speakers
Oct 2, 2003 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

johnmark

New Head-Fier
I saw a deal on Audiogon.com for the Wharfedale Diamond 7.2 for $85 shipped. I had been perusing the information on cheap bookshelf speakers, and came to the conclusion this is about the best I could do for under $100.

I'm using an old Marantz 2220b with just as old KLH speakers that sound like crap, and was looking to make a cheap upgrade for my dorm here in SD.

My questions are:Will the Marantz be sufficient power for the Wharfdales?, and Are there any other speakers comparable in the sub-$100 range?

I need something to block out the crappy tunes that permeate the halls down here. Thanks

Oct 2, 2003 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 6
You may be able to find PSB Alpha Minis for about that price. I prefer the PSB sound to Wharfdales, but you may disagree.

--Chris

Oct 2, 2003 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 6
under $100 is tough...

http://speakerpage.com/K05B11.htm

if you build the kit yourself...these are only $80-90 with MDF

i run SCH's other bookshelf speakers off a marantz 2235B and they are extremely good

but, if you can't build them, they'll cost you $140

it's a heck of a deal but over your budget unfortunately

they go much deeper than most bookshelves their size (-6db at 46hz) and sound great....only problem with them is that the don't go much louder than 95db (plenty loud for me)

Oct 2, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 6
If you can go a little higher in price, like $150.00/pair, the Mirage FRx-3 bookshelf speaker is an awesome deal. These originally retailed for $350.00/pair. Brand new in box, and no shipping charge when you put in "FREESHIPPING" coupon code when ordering from Audio Advisor.

Miarge FRx-3

MIRFRX3CH_000.jpg

If I didn't get my Energy C-1, these would be the ones I would buy.

Oct 3, 2003 at 7:34 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the info, building speakers, although it sounds fun, I just dont want to spend the time. And I couldn't find a good deal on the PSB's. I think I'll just get the Wharfedales for 85 shipped, thats probably the best I can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back