Looking to piece together a good speaker setup for my PC
Dec 28, 2012 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Chazboski

New Head-Fier
I'm fairly new to all of this, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance. [size=small]I'm a fairly massive gamer, and while I listen to a large variety of music, most of my collection is more on the heavy metal side of things. I'd also like to be able to do some home recordings.  I've been looking at the Audio Engine A5+ system for a bit since I didn't think the A2s would offer the bass response, but I wanted to get some more opinions from people more educated on the matter than I am.[/size]

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
I'm fairly new to all of this, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance. [size=small]I'm a fairly massive gamer, and while I listen to a large variety of music, most of my collection is more on the heavy metal side of things. I'd also like to be able to do some home recordings.  I've been looking at the Audio Engine A5+ system for a bit since I didn't think the A2s would offer the bass response, but I wanted to get some more opinions from people more educated on the matter than I am.[/size]

The A5 has more and better bass than the A2 but it's no bass monster. I haven't heard the A5+.

You could also look at monitors from KRK, Mackie, and M-Audio.

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm not looking for a monster since the mix is the most important part, but I was worried that the A2 wouldn't be able to pull off.  

Do you have any suggestions in those other brands?

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 7
I've heard the Rokkit KRK 6's. If you have a local Guitar Center, they generally have different types of studio monitors available to listen to. 

As for the A2s, it's physics. 2.75" drivers are just not going to be as much fun as 4" or 5" drivers for gaming and heavy metal 
smile.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 7
What about a receiver ,surround speaker system and subwoofer?  Should be able to handle whatever you throw at it, if you buy a quality system.  You can get great deals these days on ready built systems or used gear.
A "home theater" -surround sound system for your PC is about as good as it gets for gaming.
That's the way I would go, but it is not the only way.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 7
I thought about a home theater set up, but since I'm in a fairly small apartment and I'd like to be able to start recording music again, I didn't think that would really be the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back