Looking to pick a company for my first custom IEM's
Aug 11, 2009 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

GClef91

New Head-Fier
Okay I'm saving up for my first Custom IEM's

My budget is around $220-$450

I just want the comfort and better sound quality and so far the companies that is around my budget is

1. Ultimate Ears UE4pro

2. Livewires

3. Alien Ears C1000pro and AES10

what do you pros recommend? I'm in dire need for some IEMs because my Vic Firth headphones are falling apart lol.....

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #5 of 17
Now I haven't really considered livewires because of the gold bolt thingy.....and I also read about people saying it took them a long time to get their monitors.....

Now I just checked out the JH5's they look just like the UE4pros......what's the difference folks? and can I get custom art with the JH5's?

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by GClef91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I just checked out the JH5's they look just like the UE4pros......what's the difference folks?

Yeah and Triple.Fi 10's look just like UHP336's. So?

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #7 of 17
People I know I'm sort of a noob but.....I want a pair of custom IEM's not universal models...I don't want to share my earphones...

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #8 of 17
I like my LiveWires very much, but am a complete Jerry Harvey convert. I have not listened to the 5s myself, but if they share aural characteristsics with the 13s, they would be a great set.

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah and Triple.Fi 10's look just like UHP336's. So?

I asked that question because I just wanted to know if there was a difference between comfort and sound quality.....

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #11 of 17
JH Audio, not based on opinion. But Ultimate Ears was founded by Jerry Harvey, and the customs there are all designed by him including half the Ue11, since they changed it after he left. I would think Jerry would only design products that are superior to what he has designed in the past. Alien Ears isnt as experienced as Jerry in design, and they don't use custom made drivers that were designed for Jerry's need specifically. Westone is great too, but you get a better deal with JH Audio unless you go all the way to the ES3X from Westone. Livewires is good too, however they seem to be having quality problems and sound quality problems after the name change to Fidelity Customs.

So it ends off with JH Audio, in my opinion.

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by GClef91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I haven't really considered livewires because of the gold bolt thingy.....and I also read about people saying it took them a long time to get their monitors.....

Now I just checked out the JH5's they look just like the UE4pros......what's the difference folks? and can I get custom art with the JH5's?

The Ue4 and the Jh5 are very alike. Both are dual driver, with a crossover network. The difference is the quality of the tuning, how they are tuned, the crossover, and the drivers used. The JH5 was designed to be put up against the UE5 and not the UE4. So they are a step up already, however they are offered at the UE4 price.

So basically in otherwords, the JH5 was meant to be priced at $699 and not $399. So you can imagine what kind of product you are buying, a 699 one at 399 that's beating it's same price cousin at UE.

The Triple Fi 10 and the UHP336 are very different. Also, JH Audio uses Crossover Circuit boards, which actually split the frequencies vs UE which uses capacitors which limit the signal to each driver to make them a dedicated tweeter/midrange/woofer, which in fact is of lower quality.

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #13 of 17
See I didn't know that...and I want the best quality!

I never heard of JH until somebody posted about it......and the way you guys make JH sound....I'm super convinced because I was concerned about UE selling itself to Logitech....

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #14 of 17
Sleek makes a nice set of customs called the C6 I think. Ive just read about them but I have the SA6 and love them mucho!

The being said, I think my customs will be JH but I hope JH13.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back