Looking to narrow down my search for a TWS earphone.
Jun 12, 2022 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

B-Dawk20

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey everyone, I'm back again for another recommendation. I was set on going for a full sized wireless headphone but I think the IEM mark is where most of the best sounding TWS cans are. Unfortunately...it just seems so hard to discern what's actually good and what's marketing noise. So far my contenders are

Sony XM4
M&D MW07
Sennheiser Momentum 2

My budget is around $300 and I'm mostly looking for a more neutral sound though I wouldn't mind something more musical as long as it doesn't sound muffled or bloated. I own a sound core Q20 and that sounds rather bloated to me.

Jun 12, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 9
I've owned the MW07 and still have the Momentum 2, which I preferred the tuning of.

Battery life is abysmal on both, fwiw. Real world, I get maybe four hours.

Jun 12, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 9
Jesus that's freaking rough. I have actwo hour commute to and from work. That kind of battery life for me is unfortunately unacceptable. Dang didn't figure battery life would have been a factor 😂

Jun 12, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #4 of 9
The MW07 was better in terms of battery life, but I remember the ANC wasn't as good as the Sennheiser, which made me crank the M&D to max all the time. That ate through battery faster than what they rate it at.

Jun 12, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #5 of 9
The MW07 was better in terms of battery life, but I remember the ANC wasn't as good as the Sennheiser, which made me crank the M&D to max all the time. That ate through battery faster than what they rate it at.

Haha, thankfully I don't need ANC much because it's hard for me to walk with it on.

Jun 12, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 9
Without anc, battery life should be better than the four hours I get out of the Senn.

Jun 12, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 9
Without anc, battery life should be better than the four hours I get out of the Senn.

Thanks for your perspective! I'll make sure to keep battery life in mind along with sound quality.

Jun 13, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #8 of 9
Jesus that's freaking rough. I have actwo hour commute to and from work. That kind of battery life for me is unfortunately unacceptable. Dang didn't figure battery life would have been a factor 😂
I've only dabbled in TWS (prefer wired), but I believe the case usually has a reserve battery that recharges the IEM. unless you'll be using them in the hours preceding your commute the earpieces should be fully charged (AFAIK some models also have a quick charge function for a short term boost?)

For neutral sound, one feature to look for is a decent control app w/ EQ (unless all your playback apps EQ) since most wireless sets seem to have at least somewhat bloaty bass. Sony & Samsungs apps have been OK in my limited experience.

(in case you haven't seen it already, I've found crinacle's guide helpful, [I think also illustrates the bass thing] - https://crinacle.com/guide/tws/ ).

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #9 of 9
I've only dabbled in TWS (prefer wired), but I believe the case usually has a reserve battery that recharges the IEM. unless you'll be using them in the hours preceding your commute the earpieces should be fully charged (AFAIK some models also have a quick charge function for a short term boost?)

For neutral sound, one feature to look for is a decent control app w/ EQ (unless all your playback apps EQ) since most wireless sets seem to have at least somewhat bloaty bass. Sony & Samsungs apps have been OK in my limited experience.

(in case you haven't seen it already, I've found crinacle's guide helpful, [I think also illustrates the bass thing] - https://crinacle.com/guide/tws/ ).

Thanks a lot! I think after looking at this and other input I'm going with the Sony XM4 and will research some EQs and extra tips for the ears if need be. This just seems like the safest, most well regarded option. Here is hoping ~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back