Looking to move away from my Z5500s
May 17, 2013 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

fusedpro

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all, as the title states I am looking to move away from my Logitech Z5500 speaker system to a 2.0/1 bookshelf system. My source will be my computer and my main uses are for music, watching anime, and some gaming. The 5.1 system is nice for the latter two aspects (mainly the anime), but I imagine I will adjust assuming I can get better sound quality out of the bookshelves.

My main motivation from moving away from this setup is that I hope to build a new computer sometime in the near future. My current rig uses an HT Omega Striker soundcard and, don't get me wrong, it is nice. Thing is, I often boot between Windows/Linux and getting working audio drivers for the thing has caused many headaches between the two operating systems.

That said, the Dayton B652s have caught my eye. I've read several articles that pair it up with a Lepai LP-2020A+ amplifier for pleasing results on the cheap. That said, do you think the quality will beat my current speakers?

My planned setup would be going from the computer's on-board audio to a USB DAC of some sort (since on-board audio irks me, I am thinking the Schiit Modi) -> to the Lepai -> Dayton B652. If I wanted to add a sub to the system, how would I go about doing that? I only see L/R hook-ups for the mentioned components...

I am thinking this system will be pretty universal across any OS I happen to use -- no driver mess to deal with. My only concern is the sound quality. I am obviously open to suggestions, but let me know what you think.

EDIT: Forgot to mention my budget -- the cheaper the better, though I will consider pretty much anything reasonable. $500 is probably the upper limit, though...

Regards,
fusedpro

May 17, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #2 of 4
If you are very hard up i cannot imagine brand new set ups matching the value the B652/Lepai combo brings to the table but if you are willing to buy used or have a not so tight budget you could go for higher end bookies? With the T-amps you would connect RCA from source to the amp, route speaker wire off the amp to high level input on an active sub then run your speakers off the high level output of the active sub. Set crossover freq as per your bookies (prolly 80hz is fine)

May 18, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 4
Check these out:

http://www.audiostream.com/content/audioengine-5-a5-premium-powered-speakers

http://www.audiostream.com/content/psb-alpha-ps1-powered-speaker

May 20, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #4 of 4
I'm running the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SEs with my desktop setup. Ascend is an Internet direct vendor, so you get very good price/performance value. The 170s are a whole different class from the the Dayton speakers. You could run them with a Topping t-amp if you want something with a little better build quality than the Lepai, or if you have the room, get a used receiver off your local Craigslist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back