Looking to import a Stax O2 system
Jun 16, 2008 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

p997tt

New Head-Fier
I am looking to buy a Stax Omega 2 system and importing is the only option since I live in New Zealand. From what I found, there are three places I could import it from: EIFL, PriceJapan and AudioCubes II.

I was wondering, which one of these shops would you recommend me to buy it from? Also, is it possible to ask them to lower the customs value in order to lower the import tax?

If anyone can suggest a better way to get them to New Zealand, then please say so. I am hoping to place my order tomorrow which is my next pay day.

Thanks.

Jun 16, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 12
I found EIFL to be slightly cheaper than PJ, with Audiocubes II being more expensive than both of them.
I have not ordered from AC, but in my experience, EIFL and PJ are both very reliable.

They will probably lower the declared value if you ask, but keep in mind that will affect the shipping insurance value too.

Jun 16, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 12
I have no personal experience with EIFL. But have bought Stax gear from both PriceJapan and Audio Cubes (II).

Both of them have actually declared the parcels with a lower value than the real one, without me ever asking for it. Its a nice gesture, but as 'tk3' mention it will cause trouble if the parcel get lost and you will have to claim money from insurance.

Jun 18, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for the replies.
smily_headphones1.gif

I just placed an order at PriceJapan and chose bank transfer as the payment method. But I am wondering, do I need to send them a comfirmation email after I transferred the money?

I found it funny that there is no order number from the email they sent me, and nowhere on their website can I login to my account and check the status of my order.

Jun 19, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by p997tt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies.
smily_headphones1.gif

I just placed an order at PriceJapan and chose bank transfer as the payment method.

Nice move!
smily_headphones1.gif

Lets hope the system arrives in a matter of days, and that you really end up loving it.

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #6 of 12
My package left Japan yesterday and is on its way to NZ.
smily_headphones1.gif

But one thing I want to know, does the SRM-727A (or any other Stax amp) come with a power cord? I am also getting the Churi transformer from PJ so if the 727A doesn't come with a power cord, I guess I will need to buy one with a Japanese plug?

Jun 25, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #7 of 12
I am 99% that it comes with a power cord.
Its just a regular IEC connector. Which you probably have around already (computers, kitchen equipment, ...).

Like this one:
200px-IEC60320_C13.jpg

Jun 26, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #9 of 12
The courier came today but I was at work and no one went to open the door at home.
frown.gif
Looks like I have to wait a couple more days for them to redeliver it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am 99% that it comes with a power cord.
Its just a regular IEC connector. Which you probably have around already (computers, kitchen equipment, ...).

Like this one:
200px-IEC60320_C13.jpg

Actually I do have a lot of these cords, but they are all using the NZ plug. The one I meant was something like this

computerpowercordplugln3.jpg

Since the Churi transformer is from Japan as well, I assume this is the plug I will need for the transformer?

Jun 28, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #10 of 12
I just got my system today, and so far I am really enjoying it.
smily_headphones1.gif

I got one question though, what is the best way to charge these headphones up (I heard that the O2 needs quite some time to charge up)? Do I constantly need music playing through them or can I just leave the headphones plugged into the driver unit with the driver unit turned on?

Jun 28, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

I got one question though, what is the best way to charge these headphones up (I heard that the O2 needs quite some time to charge up)? Do I constantly need music playing through them or can I just leave the headphones plugged into the driver unit with the driver unit turned on?

The SR-007 doesn't need to be charged up but the amps need to warm up for a few hours to sound their best. There is a rare phenomenon called electret effect which can happen to the phones which requires them to be charged up but it's rare and I'm not quite sure why it happens.

Just leave the headphones plugged into the amp and never run the amp without a load present for any period of time.

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Congratulations!
biggrin.gif

The Omega 2 system is really nice indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back