Looking to gift a pair of cans to a newbie
Sep 1, 2013 at 7:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Isaak

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi,

thought I'd (finally) make myself an account here and get some tips on a purchase :)
My friend's birthday is coming up and I'm thinking about buying him a nice set of headphones, but while I know what I personally like I'm not sure what pair would suit him specifically.

Here's what I know

- Metalhead, but occasionally listens to Drum and Bass, K/J-pop, Trance other things
- Doesn't know a lot about audio, probably has lots of low quality mp3s
- The 'phones he has right now are on ear, bluetooth... something-somethings. They in all probability suck, so any pair of quality cans will be an upgrade.
- Listens to music straight from his computer and iPod, no dedicated amp or anything.
- Computer sits in the living room
- Glasses
- I'd love to keep it below 100 Euros.

I'm thinking closed over-ears like the

Shure SH440
HD280Pro
AKG K142
Koss Pro DJ 100

none of which I have any personal experience with (M50, AD700x here), hence the thread.

What are your thoughts?

Sep 1, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 3
Hello!

I have tested the SRH-440 and I personally do not find it nice with the genre of music you mentioned above. Reason because, the SRH-440 have rolled off bass but other than that, it has very smooth mids and clear highs. In addition, the SRH-440 have bad build quality therefore it's very fragile, if your friend are more careless, it is better to avoid it :)

Have you looked into the Sennheiser HD439? I find them great with the genre of music you mentioned! Or the Ultimate Ears UE4000 but they are on-ears.

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 3
Hey thanks! I hadn't considered the HD439 yet and I found a really good deal on them.

But, the plot thickens...

He apparently has a Sennheiser U320 gaming headset, and apparently he's going to host an online radioshow.
So maybe I'll gift him a condenser microphone. Or I could gift him a more portable pair of headphones, ie: on-ears.

Those UE4000s are quite fashionable. More recommendations would be ace :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back