looking to get some pxc-250's...
Feb 26, 2004 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dazbradbury

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

Just looking for a few people's opinion's on these headphones, want a pair of headphones to listen to when on the move and these seem pretty good. I'm currently on a pair of those black and chrome "back of the neck" sennheiser's, but am looking for a bit of an upgrade... If anyone has any comments please let me know, or even any alternatives... I really want a pair of headphones that go fully round my ear, don't mind if they're closed or open back, and want an upgrade from what I have at the moment. The noise reduction on the pxc250's is what's attracting me as when on the move noises from outside can really ruin the music, but at the same time how much of a reduction do these provide? I'm also attracted to the fact that they are collapsable, and therefore very portable...

Another thing, are these just the px200's but with noise reduction? or are there improvements anywhere else?

anyway, thanks for reading and any comments will be much appreciated!

Feb 26, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by dazbradbury
Another thing, are these just the px200's but with noise reduction? or are there improvements anywhere else?

Yes and no, the noise cancellation circuit, when it's turned on, also acts as an "amp". In fact, all noise cancellation headphones will have at least some changes in their sound when the noise cancellation circuit is turned on.

Most people has commented that PX250 with the noise cancellation circuit turned on changes the sound in a good way as compared to PX200. Without it turned on, it should sound the same.

Feb 26, 2004 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 12
Just to add some more info, am looking to get an Iriver now to accompany these, do you reckon that the 300ohm impedence will be much of a problem? in comparison to the px-200's 32ohm...?And wether it will be a good combination?

Thanks for the reply by the way!

Feb 26, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by dazbradbury
Just to add some more info, am looking to get an Iriver now to accompany these, do you reckon that the 300ohm impedence will be much of a problem?

Yes. Major problem for gutless portables. I've heard that turning on the noise cancellation thingy make the headphones easier to drive though.

Feb 26, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 12
Really? so how come these are being promoted as portable's? and reccommended to use with walkmans of all sorts....? You think i'm gonna struggle with them to get a decent sound?

Thanks for the input, as you can see i could do with the help!

Feb 26, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 12
I don't own the PXC-250s so I can't give firsthand experience, but the ability to drive these phones is discussed in this thread:

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=53182

Try the search button for more information and good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #8 of 12
I use PXC250 when I travel and I have to turn up my iPod to at least half way to get enough volume even in the hotel room.

By turning on noise cancellation it adds more bass(mid to low), also adds hiss noise which is common in nc phones. (Hiss is not noticable with music.) Noise cancelling effect is there but minimal, unless you do something to increase clamping.

Feb 27, 2004 at 8:19 AM Post #9 of 12
Oh ok, thanks for the info...

So do you reccomend I just get the px-200's? I mean from reading around it seems the noise cancellation is hardly worth the extra money, basically because it's difference is so minimal.

Hmm, well right now i'm high bidder on a pxc250 auction, so if i dont win that I think I may as well just get the 200's... Unless someone else has a reccomendation for a good portable headphone? (around the same price)

Thanks again. Daz.

Feb 27, 2004 at 10:59 AM Post #11 of 12
The PXC250's borderline usage ability lurks somewhere between a Sony Minidisc (5mw into 16 ohms and barely usable) and a Sharp Minidisc (5mw into 32 ohms and somewhat usable... even for flying).

The iRiver PCDP (Don't know about the iHP, but that has higher output so you will be safe) is right on that borderline. Most of the time you'll find your volume cranked to or near the maximum but it is usable.

Moving around, the noise cancelling is a bonus for me. I like the way the lower-end frequencies are just sucked out of the environment around you... It's quite surreal and it's kind of nice.

Nov 21, 2004 at 9:11 AM Post #12 of 12
HD25/25sp vs px200
which one is better??
how much are them??
then which one is good to buy ????
on the sennheiser web site say HD25 is the best ,HD25sp is better than px200
Is that ture ???
how different ??
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back