Looking to get my first set of headphones. Looking at the Equation RP-21's. Any thoughts?
May 5, 2008 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

CLock3

Head-Fier
Hello everyone. I'm somewhat new to the world of headphones, but not to audio. I've just never really looked into a really nice set of headphones, until recently after reading about them on forums like this, I've become really interested in getting into it, especially since I live in an apartment, and cannot play my music loud at night and such, so a nice set of headphones would be good to have. At this point, I have a set of Sony MDR-V150's, that aren't that bad, but they are an entry level headphone and they also begin to hurt my ears after wearing them for a while. So, after looking through the Buyer's Guide stickied in the forum, and looking at all the options, I began to be drawn to the Equation RP-21's. I was originally only planning on spending not much more than 50 bucks or so, but there wasn't as much options that stuck out to me at that price range. I'm looking for some that cover my ears and have really good all around SQ. I create my own music, which is sort of ambient, alternative, electronica type stuff, but I also listen to a ton of music, covering a wide spectrum of genres. Everything from some electronica, folk, indie, acoustic, hard rock, etc. So I need something that will sound good for multiple types of music. Since I've never had a really nice set of headphones, I'm sure anything will sound good to me at first, but I figured I would ask everyone here since you all know what you're talking about, haha. Thanks in advance for any help, and sorry for so much writing to have to read, haha.

May 5, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 20
The 21's are ok and I liked them at first but as time wore on and even with modifications they lack any refinement to the sound. There is a lack of detail and in general I find them wanting. I would take my PortaPros over them most any time unless I truly needed the closed headphones and didn't have anything else to use. They may please though if they fill your musical needs. After all, it is just my opinion.

May 5, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 20
Alright. I was looking at the PortaPros, but I'm not sure if they're really what I'm looking for. I think I'd prefer something that completely covers my ear, you know? I'll keep that in mind though. Thanks for the info.

May 5, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 20
I figured you wanted something closed. I am sure there will be some good choices forthcoming.

May 6, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #5 of 20
i love my rp-21's
not as much detail as higher end senns and a-t's BUT probably the best sound at the 100$ range. also give a big sound -great for games

May 6, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #7 of 20
I agree that the RP-21's aren't very detailed compared to, say, my Stax, but that doesn't necessarily have to be a shortcoming, depending on your music and source. I'd say they're pleasant sounding and forgiving, detailed enough for most folks, and most importantly, are quite balanced in terms of sound signature (the amount of bass, for example, is just about right). They have a reasonable sound stage that improves a lot with modest amplification. They also isolate quite well.

However, I have pointy ears AND wear glasses, and the combination doesn't seem to work well with the RP-21 pads, so I may sell mine. If you're built the same way it might bother you, too. Also, you might be able to do better if you don't need the isolation that closed cans provide. I don't have experience with open cans in this price range, though.

May 6, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #8 of 20
The RP-21s are my main cans and have been for almost a year but I agree that they lack "something". I definitely wouldn't prefer my sportapros over them though, not even close. I think the Denon D1001s sound better and they're cheaper at around $90 @ Amazon. I'm looking to upgrade my RP21s to Senn HD-25-1-IIs or AT AD900 (i know they're open).

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know anything about those M-Audio Q-40s? They definitely beat the RP21s over the head in the looks department and those look like actual leather earpads.

May 6, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmike34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know anything about those M-Audio Q-40s? They definitely beat the RP21s over the head in the looks department and those look like actual leather earpads.

The Q40's earpads are pleather, not leather. Much softer than the RP21's stock pads, though. Soundwise, I find them smoother with superior (read: excellent) bass response and better behaved, less peaky upper mids/highs. Warrior05 has penned some thorough (and, in my view, accurate) impressions in this thread here.

May 6, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #10 of 20
I'm very fond of my RP-21's. A really nice closed can at a good price, and one of the very, very few that I can enjoy even without an amp*. They are not the perfect headphone, but they're the best ~$100 unamped choice I've heard, open or closed.

I now have DT770 velour pads fitted to mine, which is a very nice comfort upgrade for extended wear.

I haven't heard that Q40. Sounds interesting.

*[size=xx-small]Nearly all of the traditional "don't need an amp" headphones sound pretty bad to me unamped. That's a minority opinion, sure, but my point is, these are on my short list of cans that I actually do like even without an amp.[/size]

May 6, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #11 of 20
Alright, thanks for the info everyone. Now I'm in a tough bind between the RP21s and these Q40s. They seem pretty similar. Same style. 150 is a bit much though, so If I could find them for 100 bucks, then it'd be a tough decision. So basically, I think I'm gonna go with the rp21's unless I find a good deal on the Q40s. I'm sure I'll be happy with either one anyways, haha. Also, I don't know if it matters, but when using these on my computer, where they'll be used 98% basically, I'll have them plugged into my X-Fi Platinum's breakout box. I'm not sure if that's really considered an amp of some sort, or if that changes anything, but I figured I'd throw that out there. Thanks again for the help everyone.

May 6, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 20
an x-fi puts out more power than most sound cards- almost as much as some portable amps. some of the breakout boxes are actually amplified! (i dont know which models) u will be absolutely fine - my x-fi powers my rp-21 very nicely

May 6, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 20
I don't consider the RP-21 to be an audiophile headphone. The details were lacking, and the bass was a bit muddy at times. At this price point, a Grado is a FAR better deal. However, I must admit, I LOVED the way the RP-21 is completely unfatiguing, no matter what I play with them. You can listen to them for hours without any problems.

If you must have closed headphones, then RP-21 is an OK choice, and pretty good for the price. The Sennheiser HD280 is also something to consider.

May 7, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #14 of 20
Alright, thanks for all the info. I'll keep this all in mind before and do a bunch of research before I make a final decision. Also, nice avatar by the way dallasstar. Maria Taylor is great.

May 7, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by CLock3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, thanks for the info everyone. Now I'm in a tough bind between the RP21s and these Q40s. They seem pretty similar. Same style. 150 is a bit much though, so If I could find them for 100 bucks, then it'd be a tough decision. So basically, I think I'm gonna go with the rp21's unless I find a good deal on the Q40s.

Where are you located, CLock3? I assume it's not in the US, but if I'm mistaken, be sure to check out the links I provided in a previous post. That's three places with well-priced Q40s right there.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back