Looking to get my first amp : LD I+ or EF2
Dec 26, 2009 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

j.har1bo

Head-Fier
Kind of narrowed my choices down to the Little dot I+ and head-direct EF2, both have similar tube rolling options with the LD having more I guess and the option of changing opamps. As I understand the I+ is very good with lower impedance cans and the EF2 probably better at a broader range maybe 150-300?

At the moment I've only got a pair of Sennheiser 595's and Audio Technica A900's. As far as I'm aware neither benefit greatly from amping? Although I do have an interest in the HD580/600's or perhaps AKG K-500/501.

I don't know if I'm being stupid with it being Christmas and wanting to spend some money I've got on an amp and trying my first experiences, but I feel the need to try something new and exciting and this seems possibly the way to go with tubing.

As I know we always like to strive for the best and possibly see myself upgrading some time in the distant future, but for a start into the amp world which do you think would be the better option?

Dec 26, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 5
I'd imagine that the EF2 would do a better job with the 595's and wouldn't disappoint at all on the A900s, and the I+ would be kind of a letdown with the 595 and do better with the A900.

The built-in DAC on the EF2 is a very nice bonus as well, as Aman pointed out.

Dec 27, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 5
If you look at
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mos...41/index4.html

You will find a person that has both. The Little Dot 1+ is a good choice if you do not need a DAC. Also other web sites like audiokarma.org could have more information but this web site has a great deal of information on Little Dot products and EF has well. By moving jumpers on the Little Dot circuit board you can use three different families of tubes. My Little Dot 1+ works great on my Sennheiser headphones.

EF1
Power Output:
Output at 32 Ohm: 320 mw
Output at 150 Ohm: 256mv

Little Dot 1+
Power Output:
150mW @ 300 ohms
300mW @ 120 ohms
800mW @ 32 ohms

Users who are viewing this thread

Back