Looking to get into DIY, Advice?
May 8, 2007 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ChaseD13

500+ Head-Fier
So...i know i should start off with a cmoy, but beside that...well

Im 16, and though im a beginner to soldering, i do know a good deal about electronics etc. (i build computers from parts and all that junk etc) I am capable and have some common sense.

Well, i don't have a lot of money, but i do have time- perfect for diy.

do you think its possible to start off on something more difficult than a cmoy? like a pimeta etc.? I feel like i can understand some of the more complicated layouts, is this just a matter of soldering capacitators and chips?

How much time did it take you to complete your first cmoy? How long for higher end amps/psu?

May 8, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseD13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So...i know i should start off with a cmoy, but beside that...well

Im 16, and though im a beginner to soldering, i do know a good deal about electronics etc. (i build computers from parts and all that junk etc) I am capable and have some common sense.

do you think its possible to start off on something more difficult than a cmoy? like a pimeta etc.? I feel like i can understand some of the more complicated layouts, is this just a matter of soldering capacitators and chips?

How much time did it take you to complete your first cmoy? How long for higher end amps/psu?

I built an M^3 and it was the first time I had touched a soldering iron.

Things to make an amp build really easy:
1. Buy a kit
2. Don't do anything custom. Do a completely standard build.
3. Get those connectors so you can plug wires into the amp board.

Bonus Tip: Put the transformer and amp in separate metal cases. Takes more time but eliminates the biggest possible source of interference.

Btw, those are all things I didn't do.
wink.gif

May 8, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

i have a soldering iron! like i said, my dad is a big diyer for all kinds of stuff (mocks my interest in headphones though .....lol).

Funny. Is your Dad's DIY in the same area, i.e. electronics? You need a soldering iron that is suitable for that, i.e. not too hot, and small tip.

May 8, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

how many hours did the m3 take you?

Probably 200, maybe more. Very complex build, though. I had to figure everything out as I was going.

May 8, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Those questions point away from some of the higher end head amps.

How much money do you have?

May 8, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

i have a soldering iron! like i said, my dad is a big diyer for all kinds of stuff (mocks my interest in headphones though .....lol).

Mocks your interests? Shame! He probably hasn't heard a real pair yet... Well, we'll cut him some slack, I guess.

Yes, it would be nice to know what kind of dollars you want to put towards this. Also, do you have headphones
biggrin.gif
Gotta ask!

Good luck. And welcome!

May 8, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. Also, do you have headphones
biggrin.gif
Gotta ask!

Good luck. And welcome!

2nd that. Forgot to say welcome.
redface.gif

Please tell us what kind of headphones you have.

May 8, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #11 of 19
DIY can be surprisingly expensive.. so how much do you want to spend, and what are you looking for?

A friend and I did a guzzler DAC (ok he did all the hard work), and at that stage it was the single biggest upgrade in sound I'd had (aside from my headphones). I was previously using my computer soundcard's DAC.

My parents were also blown away with how good it was compared to the DVD player that they previously used (I sorted them out now though, so now they use a high end cdp :p). From memory it was like $20 or somethin ridiculously cheap

the only problem is that if you're using a dac instead of a sound card, you'll also need an amp (soundcards have them built in). The good news is that adding an external amp to a soundcard is slightly pointless in my opinion, unless the soundcard has a line out (rather than a headphone amp). This is getting off topic though, so PM me if dont know why and you want to know

If you have more time than money and want a little challenge, I'd recommend doing a guzzler dac and a small headamp maybe (like a mint amp).

I'm assuming you use computer as source from your profile

May 8, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #12 of 19
Take a look at the "Need Information about the available DIY amps" thread... One idea is GlassJarAudio's SOHA level 1 kit... Everythings there (except a knob & std PC a/c cord), it can be completed in a couple/few nights taking your time. Lots of info about it around... Its nice & simple, w/low component count to get you going.

May 8, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #14 of 19
get the art of electronics or similar text book
smily_headphones1.gif
then again I might be strange in that I like to know how everything works. If your building a class A headphone amp aswell many of the psu's are very overspeced all you need to start with is a simple capacitor multiplier circuit which will save you alot of money.

May 8, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #15 of 19
Yeh the soldering iron is for electronics.

My dad is in the home theater business, and he is the most stubborn human alive. Hes convinced everything about portable audio (including full size headphones) is either a gimick, or not as enjoyable as speakers. I know him well enough not to bother trying to convince him otherwise.

as far as $$$ concerns, i can afford to spend whatever i feel like is a good value, though more than 250 would be pushing it.

200+ hours!!!!! holy shmoly. I dont think i can handle that. I was hoping to hear 75.

We shall see. I think ill start with a cmoy this summer, if you were to build that m3 again, how long do you think it would take you the 2nd time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back