Looking to get a USB DAC for around $300
Jan 24, 2015 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

NilsOlav

Head-Fier
So far I've been looking at a few DACs in the $300 price range, and these all sound good to me. They all have asynchronous USB, which will likely solve some audio issues I've been experiencing after my first shot using a Behringer UCA202 for as a DAC.

1. Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic 100
  2. Peachtree Audio DAC-iT X
  3. Music Fidelity V90-DAC

I've only been searching for a few days, so there could be better ones out there I suppose. Just curious as to which one you guys think I should get. On a side note, I found an old thread talking about the DacMagic 100 and screenshotted this:

Does the power supply of a USB DAC really matter so much that I should avoid the DacMagic 100 or other ones that have a "wallwart" unless I want to build a custom power supply for it?

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 9
Get the Emotiva Stealth DC-1. You can find used ones around the price.

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 9
Get the Emotiva Stealth DC-1. You can find used ones around the price.

Please tell me where. I've been looking to snag one at $300. I see that one went close to that on eBay a few months ago. More recently they have sold around the $400 mark. I lost those bids. Looked into their b stock but the price reduction was not as much as I'd hoped. They don't seem to pop up often on the for sale forum here.

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 9
OP from what I've researched Zoom's suggestion is excellent. You can't beat this for $300 (if you can find at that price) particularly if you need the features. However I have not heard it so I cannot comment on that.

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 9
You can find it used for $400 typically. Emotiva also sells used directly for $400. You have to call them though to place an order on a used one, provided they have it in stock.

It's balanced with multiple inputs and outputs, plus a remote and display. It sounds really good too.

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #6 of 9
I figured if you had a budget for $300, you can push it to $400 after awhile. It's totally worth it, even at $500.

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 9
You can find it used for $400 typically. Emotiva also sells used directly for $400. You have to call them though to place an order on a used one, provided they have it in stock.

It's balanced with multiple inputs and outputs, plus a remote and display. It sounds really good too.

Hmm they quoted me at $459 I believe for the b stock. Is used different than b stock?

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 9
Hmm they quoted me at $459 I believe for the b stock. Is used different than b stock?

Same thing. It's not new but you still get full warranty. If they quoted you $459 for a B-stock by itself and not including other taxes/fees, then screw that. It retails for $499 and goes on sale for $475 ish. $400 makes more sense for a B-stock unit.

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 9
  So far I've been looking at a few DACs in the $300 price range, and these all sound good to me. They all have asynchronous USB, which will likely solve some audio issues I've been experiencing after my first shot using a Behringer UCA202 for as a DAC.

1. Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic 100
  2. Peachtree Audio DAC-iT X
  3. Music Fidelity V90-DAC

I've only been searching for a few days, so there could be better ones out there I suppose. Just curious as to which one you guys think I should get. On a side note, I found an old thread talking about the DacMagic 100 and screenshotted this:

Does the power supply of a USB DAC really matter so much that I should avoid the DacMagic 100 or other ones that have a "wallwart" unless I want to build a custom power supply for it?

Just out of curiosity, have you considered:
iFi Nano iDSD
Oppo HA-2
and some of the FiiO products?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back