Looking to get a new pair of headphones, advice needed
Jan 10, 2009 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dmealsr

New Head-Fier
So I've been lurking on this forum for awhile now, found it after I got some sony v6's not too long ago.
My reason for posting is that I am looking to get a 2nd pair, and I was thinking something with open back, to get a different option for listening. The closed v6 is great for when I need to have a sealed option (like when I'm in the lirbary).
Keep in mind, college student paying out the (rear-end) for rent in Santa Barbara, so not going to be able to spend much to get good cans at this point.

Through this forum I found the Grado's to be very intriguing. I first was looking at sr60s because I kept reading of their bang for buck, but then kept finding comments that the sr80 was a little more but more than worth it for the upgrade.

Then I came across threads talking about the ms-1, and I was wondering if these are still sold? I found the page for them on the Alessandro website, but I was wondering if they were actively selling them since I could not find any recent threads about them.

So my question is, are the sr80s worth the purchase from the sr60, and if the ms-1 are still being sold, would they be a better choice than the sr80?
As for what I listen to, I really listen to just about everything.

I mostly use headphones to listen to music from my laptop, and will be getting a portable DAC/Amp as well. (Which I guess I will post in the portable amp section shortly)

I listen to some more modern rock (Chevelle, Fuel, 12 Stones, Coheed & Cambria, etc) lots of acoustic and modern folk-ish style music (Joshua Radin, William Fitzsimmons, Ben Harper, ), modern pop/rock (The Fray, Frightened Rabbit, Dave Matthews Band, Matt Wertz, Matt Nathanson, MGMT), I like to listen to some techno/dance also (Basshunter, Sam Sparro, Eric Prydz) as well as some RB/Hip Hop occassionally, but nearly as much as other music. But I guess basically I listen to everything.

Thanks for any advice
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 4
I guess my search for phones has come down to ms-1 vs sr80.
Does the sr80 have improved bass over the sr60? And how is the bass in the ms-1?
And one more thing, is the 125 that big of a step up from those 2 as well?

Jul 20, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmealsr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the sr80 have improved bass over the sr60? And how is the bass in the ms-1?

Differences in sound are not that big. It's more the question of comfort.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmealsr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And one more thing, is the 125 that big of a step up from those 2 as well?

No, it's not.

Jul 20, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 4
Biggest difference between the SR60/80 used to be the type of pads, but the bowl pad entry has moved up to the SR225.

Do the MS1/MS1i come with the bowls?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back