Looking to find the right ratio to spend on dac/amp/headphone setup for $500
Aug 2, 2013 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tawm

New Head-Fier
Long time lurker here...I've been a loudspeaker guy for many years now, spoiled with a dedicated, acoustically treated listening room and a pretty decent 2 channel setup.  

Lately I've been really craving an upgrade to my listening setup at work (currently sporting a pair of Etymotic HF5 with a FiiO e6 amp.  I've also got a pair of Sony MDR-V6 that I bring in occasionally).  At home, I've also a pair of Grado SR-125 as well.  

I am looking to spend around $500 on a new desktop setup, including dac, amp, and headphones.  I have been eyeing the low end Schiit products (Magni and Modi) for my DAC/amp and have been considering the Sennheiser HD25 MKII as the phones.  I've also been considering bumping up my budget a bit and springing for the Sennheiser HD600 to accompany the Schiit Magni & Modi stack.  

Relatively new to the headphone world, so I'm definitely interested in considering all alternatives! 

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 4
I do like the listening to music with my Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones, $200 (sometimes less).

The SoundMagic HP100 closed headphones seem to be getting good reviews, $210.

The Audioengine D1 DAC/Amp ($169) would be cheaper then the Magni/Modi combo.

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
I do like the listening to music with my Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones, $200 (sometimes less).

The SoundMagic HP100 closed headphones seem to be getting good reviews, $210.

The Audioengine D1 DAC/Amp ($169) would be cheaper then the Magni/Modi combo.

Nice, good suggestions.  The Audioengine D1 is really tempting, as it would be nice to have a single piece of gear just in case I need to take this setup on travel.    

Both of those cans you recommend look great, although I am having a really hard time deciding between all of these options in the ~$200 region!!  How comfortable is your ATH-A900X after 2 or more hours of listening?  Can you compare the quality/comfort to other headphones around the same price point?

I am essentially hoping to get a pair of phones that sound as good (or, hopefully, better) as my Grado SR-125 while providing more comfort and a closed back (so i can use them in the office). 

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Nice, good suggestions.  The Audioengine D1 is really tempting, as it would be nice to have a single piece of gear just in case I need to take this setup on travel.    
Both of those cans you recommend look great, although I am having a really hard time deciding between all of these options in the ~$200 region!!  How comfortable is your ATH-A900X after 2 or more hours of listening?  Can you compare the quality/comfort to other headphones around the same price point?
I am essentially hoping to get a pair of phones that sound as good (or, hopefully, better) as my Grado SR-125 while providing more comfort and a closed back (so i can use them in the office). 

I personally find the ATH-A900X to be very comfortable for wearing, to me they have a light grip on the head
Those Sennheiser HD25 MKII look like they would be even lighter headphones, but on-ear, while the A900Xs are over ear (I believe the HP100 are also over ear).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back