Looking to find second pair of cans after my ATH-M50s
Oct 28, 2013 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

vrieevriee

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, accidentally made a request post in the Headphones subforum without realizing this existed!

I purchased my Audio Technica ATH-M50s in December 2011, and would consider these to be my first purchase for 'true' headphones. Prior to the ATH-M50s, I had exclusively bought gaming headsets from Steelseries/Icemat. The change in audio between the Steelseries and the ATH-M50s was a world of difference and got me hooked into the world of audiophilia. 

Unfortunately over this past summer I made the mistake of bring my cans to a local festival where they ended up getting lost. Although I was pretty upset at the time, I realized that my experience with them was amazing and maybe it was time for them to go (to hopefully introduce the person who finds them into the world of high quality audio).

I am now back to find my next pair of headphones. I am allowing myself to delve further into the more expensive market ($500 max.) in order to potentially and hopefully encounter a new audio experience.

Here are a few headphones that caught my eye:

1) Audio Technica ATH-ES10
2) Philips Fidelio X1
3) Sennheiser HD600 (price might be too much)

How do these compare to the ATH-M50s? I'm not necessarily looking for a pair that is like my old pair.
Would it be necessary to have a DAC and an amp right off the bat to get an ideal quality of audio ?

Any other suggestions? I am all ears, thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #2 of 2
In almost all circumstances, headphones come first, then worry about DACs, amps etc.

But in the HD600's case, you'd want to get at least an amp to get the most out of them as it's less sensitive than the other headphones.

First consider what you need the headphone for.
You said you brought your M50 out to a festival - this tells me you'd prefer a headphone that you can also take OUTDOORS.
The HD600 is an open-back headphone so it's not suited to the outdoors. 

The other two headphone are closed-back and therefore suited to the outdoors, and both have fans on headfi. I havn't heard the ES10, but the Fidelio is quite a nice option.

Have a look here for good reviews on the most popular portable headphones.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-b-w-p7-psb-m4u2-momentum-mdr-1r-qc15-dt1350-ue9000-beats-studio-2013-executive-kef-m500-and-skullcandy-aviators

Let us know what your needs are if this isn't helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back