Looking to delve into headphoneland.. little help.. opinions of Audio-Techincas?
May 6, 2008 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

adion

Head-Fier
HI.

I had some Bose Triports for a while and thought they were great, until they busted on both sides and I found out that everyone hates Bose anyways. Rookie mistake, moving on.

Now I'm looking for a pair of open cans for music, pc games, movies, also guitar recording/editing.. all purpose I guess. Don't need to be portable, and I'd like to keep it under $150, cause I plan to get a USB interface as well.. more on that further down.

So far I've checked out Senns (not crazy about the look of the HD555/595), Grados (hesitant about comfort of the ear pads).. I've arrived at Audio-Technica for now, because they seem to be pretty solid for their cost, and they look good to me. Specifically the AD300, AD500, and AD700.

I'd happily get the 700s but the gold/purple scheme is not something I'd usually go for. I'm interested in opinions (pictures, too.. most pics seem to distort the coloring a bit - are they black or purple?) of the 300/500/700s. How do the other two compare with the 700?

Now even though I've read that all these ATs do fine without an amp, I need an interface for recording acoustic and bass onto the Macbook Pro anyways. This is still a gray area for me, not too sure what's going on. I've been recommended the E-MU 0202. Would this also improve the quality of my tunes (DAC?)?

Insight and/or recommendations welcome.

Thanks much.

May 6, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 10
I mainly listen to jam bands, so instrumentals are important. Also rock, mostly classic, and acoustic. And some more bass-prominent stuff like the Chili Peppers.

Yeh, sound comes before looks, but to me the looks go a long way in how much a person likes their phones.

May 6, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 10
used Grado 225s? they go for around 150$ and are amazing for anything with guitars/drum/ bass guitars

I'm guessing that's classic rock you were referring to, and led zeppin/pink floyd/ etc sound amazing on grados IMO.

and yes, comfort leaves something more to be desired
frown.gif

May 6, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 10
Yes, that is classic rock - Doors, Jethro Tull, The Who, Allman Bros.. Grados should probably be a no-brainer for me. I like to relax when listening to music though, not be on the edge of my seat. I've read that Grados are fairly aggressive. Comfort is a big issue, the ATs will fit the bill I'm sure. I have some qualms about the supra-aural style of Grados. Seems like you won't be able to forget you're wearing headphones (also thanks in part to their limited soundstage). Which also lends me to believe Grados are less than ideal for gaming or movies.

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 10
Without starting a new thread for a small question...

Would Audio Technica ATH-AD500's be good for Electronica, Techno, and some Rock & Punk?

I'm looking for a more "fun" headphone with good bass (however not overbearing), would this meet my needs?

Also for a bit more information...right now I have Portapros which I absolutely love, and a pair of HD280s which I don't enjoy that much (the bass is much too light for me).

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceways /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Would Audio Technica ATH-AD500's be good for Electronica, Techno, and some Rock & Punk?

I'm looking for a more "fun" headphone with good bass (however not overbearing), would this meet my needs?

Also for a bit more information...right now I have Portapros which I absolutely love, and a pair of HD280s which I don't enjoy that much (the bass is much too light for me).

I like my AT ATH-AD500s, they feel really nice on my head.
Now I'm looking at finding some "closed" Audio Technica headphones.

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceways /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As your music taste goes, it seems like u need a lot of bass. Most people say that the AD series lacks bass due to its openess. I however feel that there is ample bass to enjoy the music. I listen to some R&B and soul and bass is definitely not lacking, sometimes i even have to EQ it to reduce the bass. But maybe thats because i haven't listened to those bass monsters like beyerdynamics.

Nov 7, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by adion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mainly listen to jam bands, so instrumentals are important. Also rock, mostly classic, and acoustic. And some more bass-prominent stuff like the Chili Peppers.

Yeh, sound comes before looks, but to me the looks go a long way in how much a person likes their phones.

Hey Adion, i was also kind of put off by the colour scheme of th AD700s even though i had heard so many good things about them. But as the AD500s were on special and looked far more attractive to me, i got those instead
smily_headphones1.gif

I really don't know what they are like compared to the AD700s or AD300s in terms of SQ and i have never read any reviews/impressions/comments about them anywhere on Head-fi either. Don't know why they aren't popular with people..nevertheless, i am extremely pleased with them
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back