Looking to create a small HT in my room.
Mar 1, 2009 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

deeplove

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about creating a small HT in my bedroom. I'm getting a projector and looking to get some speakers. I'm thinking of going with an 80" screen and using the PS3 as the Bluray player and the DVR for the regular watching.

My question is about the speakers. I don't want to spend much and I was thinking about going with the Audioengine speakers. I was looking at the A2. Do you guys think that I'll get good sounds for my room with these? I'll be playing Bluray movies and games.

Or do I go with bigger speakers?

Oh, and I'll be using my iPods with ALAC for them also. Any help is appreciated.

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 11
Bigger speakers. Make sure the PJ is ok with Bluray resolutions and speeds.

Speakers. Well You need a receiver for the best setup. A small 2.1 should cost you about $350.

Get speakers from the speaker company tSc or from audioadvisor for Energy speakers. The Energy speakers are probably a bit better. You can get their small bookshelfs for about $70 and a subwoofer for $100. A good receiver would be an Onkyo 506 or Denon 589. Older receivers can be had for less though. Speakers new are about the same as used lol. Crazy good sound for that price.

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get speakers from the speaker company tSc or from audioadvisor for Energy speakers. The Energy speakers are probably a bit better. You can get their small bookshelfs for about $70 and a subwoofer for $100. A good receiver would be an Onkyo 506 or Denon 589. Older receivers can be had for less though. Speakers new are about the same as used lol. Crazy good sound for that price.

This is basically the system I have....refurbished Onkyo 505 directly from Onkyo for about $150.00, a pair of Energy C-100 boohshelf from woot.com for $90.00, and the Energy ESW-8 8" powered sub from audoadvisor.com for $130.00 shipped.

Crazy good sound
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 11
those are some nice prices. I think I'll take that route. I'm going to sell my z5500. That should give me the money I need for the speakers.

Will alac off my classic and touch sound good with that setup? I'm going to go with 2.1 before I go full 5.1. It's because money is tight.

Mar 2, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by deeplove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
those are some nice prices. I think I'll take that route. I'm going to sell my z5500. That should give me the money I need for the speakers.

Will alac off my classic and touch sound good with that setup? I'm going to go with 2.1 before I go full 5.1. It's because money is tight.

I think it will sound fine. Components such as those we are talking about are better in the long run because they will allow you to mix/match and upgrade. My source is either a Sony DVD/SACD/CD player that I have purchased but unopened for $100.00 or an Oppo 980 universal player (from my tax refund). I'm looking at the Oppo because I may eventually buy a HT receiver with HDMI 1.2 (or above) that will allow me to use one HDMI cable for both audio/video transmission. The Oppo 980 will allow me to do that, on the source side of the equation.

The Onkyo 505 that I have was praised for its sound quality in the UK audiophile press and the Onkyo 506 is receiving similar praises. I believe the 506 was reviewed in the current issue of UK mag "What Hi Fi". Also, I think a new Onkyo entry HT receiver is about to be released, so prices on 506 will go down.

My plan is to get a matching Energy center-channel speaker for about $100.00, while audioadvisor.com is still clearing out its stock. And most likely, I will use my ancient Radio Shack/Realistic Minimus 7 speakers for surround speakers. In fact, you should look into the Minimus 7....a true classic and inexpensive on ebay.

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 11
Since it's for the room, I might just go with the Energy speakers. I don't want to spend much for the room. Out in the living room, I'll use something else. But for now I like the idea of fixing the room since I'm in there most of my time. I'm still debating about the projector since I'd rather spend the money on the speakers and the AV receiver. I'll just continue using my Samsung T260, PS3, PC and iPod.

That Onkyo 506 looks pretty decent.

I was looking at the 8" Energy sub and audioadviser has it for $99. Not bad.

I was thinking...

Energy ESW-8 $99.99
Energy C-50 $69.99
Energy C-100 $149.99

Those are to start off. Do the C-50 sound bad compared to the C-100? Would they go well with the ESW-8? I can start off with those while I get my Onkyo 506 or 505.

Edit:

I was looking at some of the reviews and I came across the Onkyo TX-8555. I know it's a stereo receiver but either way I have my PS3 connected via optical and the coaxial. Of course the iPods with connect from a LOD>RCA. You think that's a cheap but good receiver?

Thanks guys for the help. I know these are some noobish questions. I'm just try to get the best for the least amount of money.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 11
The C-50 will be ok with a sub sure. Just get the crossover point where it needs to be. Probably about 100Hz or so.

Receiver? Onkyo will work. Marantz or Denon too. You can find them all under $180.

Onkyo tx sr 505 for $175 shipped on ebay right now. Just a return. Not refurbed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Onkyo-TX-SR505-7...3A2|240%3A1318

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by deeplove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since it's for the room, I might just go with the Energy speakers. I don't want to spend much for the room. Out in the living room, I'll use something else. But for now I like the idea of fixing the room since I'm in there most of my time. I'm still debating about the projector since I'd rather spend the money on the speakers and the AV receiver. I'll just continue using my Samsung T260, PS3, PC and iPod.

That Onkyo 506 looks pretty decent.

I was looking at the 8" Energy sub and audioadviser has it for $99. Not bad.

I was thinking...

Energy ESW-8 $99.99
Energy C-50 $69.99
Energy C-100 $149.99

Those are to start off. Do the C-50 sound bad compared to the C-100? Would they go well with the ESW-8? I can start off with those while I get my Onkyo 506 or 505.

Edit:

I was looking at some of the reviews and I came across the Onkyo TX-8555. I know it's a stereo receiver but either way I have my PS3 connected via optical and the coaxial. Of course the iPods with connect from a LOD>RCA. You think that's a cheap but good receiver?

Thanks guys for the help. I know these are some noobish questions. I'm just try to get the best for the least amount of money.

The Energy C-100 will be a better buy since, because of its size, it can reach lower in the bass frequencies and will be a much easier match to the Energy sub (or any other sub). On top of that, the C-100 can function better as a pair of stand-alone 2 channel L/R speaker in other situations. The C-50, to me at least, is better suited if you use them as surround speakers or always have them mated to a powered sub.

In terms of the choice of receivers, you have to ask yourself whether you want a 5.1 (or above) or a 2 channel (or 2.1) system. The Onkyo 8555 is strictly an analog receiver and doesn't offer any digital inputs/outputs. Despite being a stereo receiver, it does offer a dedicated sub output (crossing over at 80 hz....I confirmed that with Onkyo) and stereo pre-outs. In terms of power, the 8555 is more powerful and will be better when dealing with demanding loads....if you get a chance, look inside the 506 and the 8555 and you'll see that 8555 is a much more muscular amp. The 506 will give you a more flexible crossover with the sub and certainly more DSP to play with. Not to mention the ability to fully realize a surround soundtrack.

Oh, if you plan to get into vinyl, the 8555 has a phono pre-amp as well.

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 11
You can get the c50s now and then move them to surrounds. Spend the $$ on the receiver now.

Cheers

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #11 of 11
thanks a lot guys. I will go with the c-100s. I think that I'll go with the 505. It looks like a good amp. Once again thanks. Will post again if any questions come up.

I guess that I might as well ask this question.

As far as the Energy speakers sounds go, do they go well with Classical, Jazz, Rock and yes...Hip Hop? I was listening to some opera on my Z5500 and they couldn't take it. When some high notes or strong voices came through they would crap out. Literally distort and crack. Will that happen with the C-100s? Can you push these guys and have them sound good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back