Looking to change things up
Mar 8, 2021 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

shaitan667

Head-Fier
A little while ago I managed to snag a decent soundcard for my PC.
Got a Soundblaster X-Fi Elite Pro complete with breakout console. It's the later gen with a heatsink. Even had the case badge still unused :D
Only problem was batteries were left in the remote and had leaked and corroded away the springs :frowning2:

It's feeding a Sony DAV-S800 DVD/SACD receiver via optical. This in turn outputs to a 2.1 speaker setup (the original speakers included with the unit). I know that using optical I'm not using the soundcard DAC. Haven't actually tried analog out of the card to the amp. Might see how it sounds later on.

If using headphones I use the headphone out of the X-Fi console. Sounds great, no noise or hum or anything like that.

I use Foobar with WASAPI output.

The receiver though has quite a bad hiss. Really annoying when listening at lower volumes. Comes through speakers and headphone output (seems to have a seperate headphone output stage as there is a mechanical click when switching to it).
I'm assuming it's cause of the age of the thing. It's from 2005 or earlier.

I recently got an fiio M11 for portable music. Been enjoying it quite a bit. Was getting some latency issues that made watching videos a pain when using it as a USB DAC (think I need to change buffer settings)

I've been thinking about replacing the receiver and have been looking at second hand home theatre receivers for under 200 - got a list including Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, Harmon Kardon, pioneer etc.

But then got to thinking maybe I should get some powered speakers instead.

But my issue is desk space - I have two 27in monitors and the current speakers are reasonably thin, so fit nicely on the desk.

Anyone using an old receiver for their workstation? Any recommendations to look out for? Looking at sub $AUD200

Any recommendations for a nice 2.1 (or two speaker if full range) setup?

I'm based in Perth, WA and have been using the Gumtree app to look for deals.

Mar 8, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #3 of 3
Cheers. They do look good, but I'd probably not consider them due to the additional Bluetooth module. No need for it, so would be paying for a feature I wouldn't use.

That probably sounds silly after saying I've been using and am looking for another receiver - eg a receiver has heaps of features i wouldn't be using. But second hand they are reasonably cheap so it's not such a big deal.

I know they're they're on the larger side , but does anyone have the AudioEngine A5 speakers? Or the passive counterparts?
I remember reading good things about them years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back