Looking to change from Z5500 & STX to 2.0 or 2.1 system
Aug 9, 2011 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

twildwood2

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,
     So I have a Z5500 with Asus Essence STX card and really like the sound the both of them give out but I will be moving for 1.5 years into a 10 x 10 dorm.  So I figured my best bet was the Audioengine A2's.  I just got them and after a listening for a brief while find myself always relieved when I turn back to my Z5500.  The A2's are ok but it seems to me that right now the EQ is all out of wack and will need some tweeking but as of now I find myself fatigued extremely fast when listening to them and switching to my Z5500.   

But I was wondering about possibly getting the Swan 200MKII or III speakers.  I don't have any other setup then my computer and was wondering what people might recommend.  I initially wanted to go small but realize that I probalby won't get the quality I'm striving for.  I use my speakers mostly to listen to music.  I listen to everything from techno, classical, the whole gamut.  I use my Beyerdynamics 770 DT Pro for videogames.  I understand dropping from a 5.1 to a 2.0 or 2.1 will not have the bass presence as I'm used to and that is ok.  I'm also wondering if I should just get a super cheap  pair of speakers and get another headphones.   
Any recommendations, experiences or ideas are welcome.  Thanks!

Aside technical qustion.
Also I have noticed with the A2 that the volume in one application can be fine and then completely be too loud on another one.  I don't think this is unique to A2 but more so analog.  I never noticed it as much with my Z5500s possibly becuase they were on optical and digital settings?

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 5
Thank Bojamijams for the advice.  I totally forgot about the opamps in my STX card.

Do you find that your A5's overheat?  That was the only thing real negative thing that I have heard people talking about that they didn't like.

Thanks again!

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 5
My A5s never even get warm, much less over heat. I listen to them for several hours a day and have had them for over a year. I've never heard the A2 but I know I absolutely love my A5s. You really don't need a sub unless you listen to electronic music, hip hop or dubstep (I have a 12" Polk sub when I listen to those genres but it's usually off when I listen to practically anything else).

The only thing is, the A5s are decently big and rear ported which means they MUST be at least 6" away from the rear wall or they will sound muddy and boomy. I tried using them in my dorm last year and the only way they would fit on my tiny school-supplied desk was if I shoved them flush against the rear wall and I hated the sound so much I brought them home and used my ATH-M50s exclusively at school.

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #5 of 5
Well someone did a nice KRK Rokit RP6 G2 vs A5 comparison so could be useful info for ya hehe
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/564898/audioengine-a5-vs-krk-rokit-rp6-g2-nice/15#post_7678652

Users who are viewing this thread

Back