Looking to buy this subwoofer for my Audioengine A2s...
Jan 29, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #32 of 42
It is better than anything else new you can get at that price. Much better actually.

Jan 29, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #33 of 42
PSB makes good stuff - much better than the Dayton 12" or Infinity 8" sub you might get for that sort of money. I'm not sure about CDN vs. USD prices, but it sounds like a good deal.

That said, the Audioengine stuff is just a poor fascimile of a real pair of powered studio monitors. If I were you, I'd sell them, and use the money you were going to spend on your subwoofer to buy a pair of proper 6" or 8" studio monitors.

Jan 30, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #35 of 42
Yeah buy the psb. Make sure it works first but you are not getting a better deal on a sub. That's for sure.

Hell, go listen to it. Unless the guy is a complete ass he will be ok with that. Once you hear it, you will buy it.

Jan 30, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #36 of 42
The guy lives half a country away from me... :S

So I can't test drive it. So I'm not getting a deal hey?

Do you guys have any suggestions for me? Imight be able to sell my A2s and completely refine my speaker set up...

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #37 of 42
Last time I'll chime in. The PSB Subsonic II is an older sub. Designed in 1998, it retailed for $400.00 - $450.00 US. A used one usually sells for around $200.00 US + shipping. It was replaced by the similar PSB Subsonic 6i in 2003 which retailed for $499.00 US. It was designed to match PSB's bookshelf Alpha, 300i and 400i speakers, which are much better than, but have a similar sound signature to your A2's. The better match to your A2's would probably be the smaller Subsonic I/Subsonic 5i but the Subsonic II is probably close enough. Because it's an older model there aren't a lot of reviews about it. There's a link to one below. Please understand that I'm not trying to push anything on you, but just trying to give you some information and other opinions are more than welcome.

Search Results

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #38 of 42
THanks again NightOwl - and one more thing before I make a decision.

I have the opportunity of buying 2 Velodyne VX10s for $280 CDN... would this be too much? Are they good speakers, I've heard decent things baout them, or is the PSB still - the best contender?

Thanks everyon!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #39 of 42
The psb is still better in terms of performance and sq. The velodynes are ok but HT geared and not as musical or capable even in stereo vs a single.

Jan 30, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... 12" is a bit overpowering for a small room...

Sorry, but you can never have too overpowering a subwoofer for the room!!

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ARoach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
THanks again NightOwl - and one more thing before I make a decision.

I have the opportunity of buying 2 Velodyne VX10s for $280 CDN... would this be too much? Are they good speakers, I've heard decent things baout them, or is the PSB still - the best contender?

Thanks everyon!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I've never heard the Velodyne.

Twin subs will be too much for your small room, especially trying to place them.

If you use twin subs, you will for sure have to adjust the equalisation in your computer.

Twin subs should be connected from a separate receiver/amplifier. It's technically possible from a computer sound card, but the wiring is somewhat more complicated and may result in phase error (sounds arriving at your ear at different times). I'm getting old and I wouldn't have the patience to walk you through it for what will be worse sound than a single sub.

If you do buy the PSB, set your phase toggle to "0" and your sub cut-off/crossover frequency to "80" to start (on the back of the sub).

If you run into problems or questions after you get a sub, you can PM me if you want.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #42 of 42
Hey again,

So the guy selling the PSB hasn't contacted me - seems to be MIA so again... I regret to say that I am on the market for a sub.

Anybody find any decent ones in the price range of $150-$250 CDN?

:S

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back