Looking to buy the Sennheiser HD650's, do they sound well with Xonar Essence STX?
Dec 16, 2013 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Nick46

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I have had the HD555 headphones from Sennheiser for some years now, and I really like them, so I'm thinking the HD650 ones would be a good upgrade. I bought the STX soundcard to go with my HD555's because I read plenty good reviews of it, and couldn't really figure out what external amp I would have to buy instead. I've not read a whole lot about audio at all, but I think the HD555's and the STX soundcard go well together, albeit I had to adjust the EQ quite a bit.

My simple question is this: Would it be alright to just plug the HD650's into the STX card, or will I have to buy an amp after all to get my money's worth? Thanks in advance.

(if it is of any relevance at all I use my HD555 to listen to music, primarily rock)

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 6
It should have enough power to drive HD650.

The catch is that STX uses TI6120 opamp for powering the headphones, but for now, it is enough.

When you have enough money, I suggest to get external soundcard/DAC instead of internal soundcard.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 6
Sounds great. While I really enjoy good sound I'm not the biggest audiophile, so for now I think this is good enough.

One question just to be safe though: I will be able to run the extra high gain HP Advance Setting with the HD650's, right? I've read that is crucial. (sorry if it should be obvious)

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 6
  Hi all, I have had the HD555 headphones from Sennheiser for some years now, and I really like them, so I'm thinking the HD650 ones would be a good upgrade. I bought the STX sound card to go with my HD555's because I read plenty good reviews of it, and couldn't really figure out what external amp I would have to buy instead. I've not read a whole lot about audio at all, but I think the HD555's and the STX sound card go well together, albeit I had to adjust the EQ quite a bit.

My simple question is this: Would it be alright to just plug the HD650's into the STX card, or will I have to buy an amp after all to get my money's worth? Thanks in advance.

(if it is of any relevance at all I use my HD555 to listen to music, primarily rock)

Hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio? in the BIOS
Have you tried using Foobar2000 for playing music audio files?

The Essence STX should do a decent job of driving the 300-Ohm HD650s.
Plus it has a PCM1792A DAC chip :)
If you want to try improve audio quality, I would guess your looking at $300 or more for an external DAC/headphone amplifier, to make it worth while.

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 6
  PurpleAngel: I cannot recall disabling the motherboard's audio. Is that really important? And yes, I use Foobar2000, very simple and straightforward.

Sometimes the motherboard's on-board sound card effects the add-on internal sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back