looking to buy speakers ~$100
Jan 4, 2009 at 6:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

homers54321

100+ Head-Fier
im looking to buy speakers to hook up to my flat panel TV/ps3 mainly but also to hook up to mp3 player via an auxiliary cable from time to time. Ive narrowed my selection down to klipsch promedia 2.1, logitech z-2300, swan m10, and m-audio studiophile av 40. the promedias are hard to find nowadays and people are not too fond of the logitechs from my research. that leaves the m-audios and the swan m10s. which one would you guys recommend for my purposes?

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #2 of 10
Do you need bass? I think the bass is better on the AV40, if I remember correctly. Yes, M10 has a subwoofer. No, it is a bit weak. It's very clean bass though.

I'm the sorta guy who enjoys the K701 and AD700 even when not properly amped. I don't need much bass. I prefer the M10. Others like the AV40.

Also, have you considered the D1080MKII and getting a subwoofer later when you have the money? I gave my mom the D1080MKII and it sound really clean and detailed. Just needs a subwoofer and it's ready to rip the air.

Jan 4, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 10
yes i want bass. after some thought, i want speakers that are fun to listen to rather than clear sounding. I realized that i probably wont be using the speakers to listen to music at all but to play games and watch tv/movies mostly. With that said, Im assuming most people like the Swan M10 and M-Audio AV 40 for musical clarity. So, would the logitech or klipsch speakers be better suited for my multimedia purposes? again, any other recommendations would be appreciated

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 10
Lol. "Musical" clarity means "gaming" clarity and "movie" clarity. It's more difficult to replicate music audio than it is to replicate the sadly, low-quality sound files that games play. Even movies are of higher quality audio than games.

Please avoid Logicrap. Lol.

If you want bass, imho, the AV40 has more bass than the M10. And it still retains nice clarity.

Jan 4, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 10
thanks for the suggestions alai. I think im leaning more toward the av 40 at this point but its hard to believe the av 40s have more bass than the swans because the swans have a sub. also, u have talked me out of the logitechs haha (i wanted them so bad too..)

Jan 4, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 10
I don't remember clearly about the bass quantity, but I do remember that the M10 had a surprising lack of lows despite having a subwoofer. Maybe it was room accoustics or subwoofer placement (under the desk at the time because no room on the desk). Honestly, I don't think it will matter too much. They are both approximately the same price and they have great value at that price. If it was me, I would probably get the M10 because it looks nicer and it would be easier to resell as a 2.1 system for when I want a higher up system.

Jan 4, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't remember clearly about the bass quantity, but I do remember that the M10 had a surprising lack of lows despite having a subwoofer. Maybe it was room accoustics or subwoofer placement (under the desk at the time because no room on the desk).

That's your problem right there. It's been said by many that the M10 subwoofer is meant to be facing you and ON the desk. I'm not sure why this is, but I think those instructions came from Swan themselves. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I'd go for the AV30/AV40 myself. I like M-Audio as a brand much better, and I've heard more good things about them than Swan.

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 10
I use the AV40's primarily for music, and I can't speak highly enough of them. However, it seems like a 2.1 system might be better for your needs. The AV40's have great clarity at this price range, but any similarly priced 2.1 system with a properly positioned sub would have more bass (quantity, anyway).

Jan 4, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #9 of 10
ok, ive decided to splurge and go for the audioengine a2. everyone seems to like these speakers and are not too far from my price range at $180 shipped. plus they dont have a sub which i like and the black a2's are going to look great next to my setup. I will be ordering them within the next few days. any1 care to talk me out of this? are there better choices out there for that price?

Jan 5, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 10
If you like the Grado sound, the Acculaine A1 has been getting good reviews with its Titanium drivers. Around the same price as the A2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back