Looking to buy something good..
Feb 4, 2016 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

soccc

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and to the whole "sound" thing.
I am looking to buy a good set of headphones. I have found the Oppo PM-3 and the AKG K712 PRO (are they two versions? a studio one and a non-studio? it's confusing) which both look pretty good to me and on my budget.
Can you guys suggest similar ones or better ones and also tell me which one you consider the best and why.

Many thanks,

soccc

Feb 4, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 19
What kind of music do you listen to? What kind of sound do you like (treble/midrange/bass)? There are almost infinite options without narrowing these things down.

Hi mate. Thank you for you reply!

I listen classical, jazz.blues and indie/rock mainly depending on my mood.
What are the differences between treble - midrange and bass? Sorry I am quite new..

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 19
Bass is pretty obvious. Midrange is the middle frequencies that are usually associated with vocals. Treble is going to be your higher pitched sounds. Some people are sensitive to a lot of treble because it starts to hurt their ears after a while.

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 19
Both the PM-3 and AKG K712Pro ( no there is not other version besides the AKG K7xx from Massdrop ) are great headphones. The PM-3 is a planar so it will have a quicker treble and very linear bass response vs the AKG which sounds a tad bright and loose in the bass. The AKG is great sounding, but if you have a small head you may want to look elsewhere because of fit issues. It tends to sag.

Another great headphone for desktop / home listening is the Fidelio X2 which sounds more bassy and fun than the AKG.

My favorite currently is the HiFiMAN HE-400i because it sounds very neutral, reproduces bass wonderfully, and fits comfortably.

The Fidelio X2 is my recommendation because it will have the fewest issues with sounding bright and it is made very well.

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 19
  Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and to the whole "sound" thing.
I am looking to buy a good set of headphones. I have found the Oppo PM-3 and the AKG K712 PRO (are they two versions? a studio one and a non-studio? it's confusing) which both look pretty good to me and on my budget.
Can you guys suggest similar ones or better ones and also tell me which one you consider the best and why.

Many thanks,

soccc

Are you wanting open or closed headphones?

Feb 4, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 19
Bass is pretty obvious. Midrange is the middle frequencies that are usually associated with vocals. Treble is going to be your higher pitched sounds. Some people are sensitive to a lot of treble because it starts to hurt their ears after a while.

I think bass fits me more. Also, I would like them to be closed headphones. Any suggestions?

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #9 of 19
I think both options you listed are open back. I know for sure the K712 is. Also, with those picks, you would need an amp. I would probably suggest the Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm for a closed back headphone that doesn't need an amp and has good bass. There are other options like the Audio-Technica M50X, V-Moda M-100, and more. Seek out the threads for those and ask some questions in there. I would also check out the buying guide.

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #10 of 19
What is your budget?

What is your reason for wanting closed headphones?

When you say you think bass fits you more, do you mean that you want more bass than is in the recording?

You don't necessarily need a bass-boosted headphone. It may be better to get a more neutral headphone and boost the bass with an equalizer when desired.

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #11 of 19
  What is your budget?

What is your reason for wanting closed headphones?

When you say you think bass fits you more, do you mean that you want more bass than is in the recording?

You don't necessarily need a bass-boosted headphone. It may be better to get a more neutral headphone and boost the bass with an equalizer when desired.

Hello!

My budget is up to £350, max £400 if there is something reallyyy good.

I want closed headphones because I want to use them in the office and I do not want other people to be disturbed by my music, same for home.

I think neutral headphones is the way to go for me as you said and then use an equalizer if I want to boost the bass. I am not a bass-head.

To be honest I have been checking the Oppo PM-3 and they look so good to me but I just want to see if they are some alternatives as well. I will be using them mainly for jazz and rock/indie music, and to a lot lesser extent classical.

Hope that helps. Your advice would be appreciated!

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #12 of 19
  Hello!

My budget is up to £350, max £400 if there is something reallyyy good.

I want closed headphones because I want to use them in the office and I do not want other people to be disturbed by my music, same for home.

I think neutral headphones is the way to go for me as you said and then use an equalizer if I want to boost the bass. I am not a bass-head.

To be honest I have been checking the Oppo PM-3 and they look so good to me but I just want to see if they are some alternatives as well. I will be using them mainly for jazz and rock/indie music, and to a lot lesser extent classical.

Hope that helps. Your advice would be appreciated!

Okay, so that's in the range of $500 to $580 USD.

I see. That makes sense, then.

Unfortunately, I do not specialize in closed headphones, so I haven't sought out the best ones. I can tell you that my favorite closed headphone is the Yamaha HPH-MT220 and I happen to like it much more than many open headphones, including higher-end ones. Closed headphones I like less than the MT220 include the Focal Spirit Professional, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x/M40x/M30x, Bose QuietComfort 15, Sennheiser MOMENTUM, Sony MDR-7506/V6, and many more.

I will list some more closed headphones within your price range to look into, but note that I am not recommending them per se.

Fostex T50RP (various versions)
Fostex TH-X00
Fostex TH-600
MrSpeakers Alpha Dog
MrSpeakers Mad Dog Pro
Philips A5-PRO
PSB M4U 1
Sennheiser HD 630VB
Shure SRH1540

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #13 of 19
Get the pm3 they look great and are comfy too. They EQ really well so if you want more bass punch or treble they handle it like champs. Momentum 2s are also good but the pm3 is better imo

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #15 of 19
I love my Fostex TH-600 & TH-X00 but they aren't closed back. They're semi open and leak sound from a ring around the earcup.

Uh, the TH-X00 is as closed as the come. No sure how much more closed you can get.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00

Another great headphone to start with would be the Shure SRH-840.
http://www.shure.com/americas/products/headphones/srh840-professional-monitoring-headphones
http://www.headphone.com/products/shure-srh840
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH840-Professional-Monitoring-Headphones/dp/B002DP8IEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454700226&sr=8-1&keywords=shure+srh840

They are built really well and play nice with a ton of music. The TH-X00 tends to only sound good with certain types of music because of the bass emphasis and treble spike.

The PM-3 is wonderful and OPPO makes some of the best gear around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back