Looking to buy some new Headphones (Maybe some Grado SR225i's)
May 19, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #31 of 54
they will be a good set of headphones for the music you list.  I also like them with jazz, although they are not my first choice.  I do not find them uncomfortable as they do not clamp tight.  As for the adapter, I would go with the grado or something of the same design.  It's a lot easier on the headphone jack than one without the small amount of cable. 

May 19, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #33 of 54
nothing, apart from BUY USED :D

May 19, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #34 of 54
Thanks people you have been very, very helpful.

If you have anything else to add then I would be most thankful. 

Can't wait to join the Grado Club.

As a UK resident the absolute best value route to the Grado sound would be some Alessandro MS1i and a set of bowl pads.

You get the MS1is directly from the Alessandro website for $110 and the bowl pads can be bought from Amazon for ~£20 Even with import duty, the total cost should be less than £120.

I have a pair of these and some SR325is (modded with wood cups) and there's really very little difference in the sound 'quality'. The 325is are very slightly better, but in hindsight, I probably should've just modded the MS1is and saved the money ...

May 19, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #37 of 54
no they don't
import tax will be 20% of item + handling charge (£8)
and shipping from us will be about $40 afink

May 19, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #38 of 54
What about vocals? Some of the most important parts in my music taste are the vocals.

I don't know. I don't listen to my A900Xs any more. I prefer the Grados for everything. That's a personal taste thing. Some people would likely prefer the A900X.

May 19, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #40 of 54
You get MS1s directly from Alessandro:

http://www.alessandro-products.com/main.php?p=headphones

$109.99 delivered to the UK. Even with import VAT & handling fees, that should be  < £100.

The site looks a little dodgy in this day and age, but it's legit. Took about 10 days to deliver them when I bought mine a couple of years ago ...

May 19, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #42 of 54
Quote:
They really need a new site.

What would they be like compared to the SR225i's?

They really do, don't they :)

I've not heard any 225is myself, but I can compare them directly to my 325is.

Alessandros have a slightly more neutral sound to Grados, with a less harsh high-end. Bass is pretty much the same (i.e tight, punchy, musical.) The difference is pretty slight though really, and, as I said above, in terms of sound 'quality' the 325is is only marginally better than the MS1i.  My guess is that they don't sound too different to the 225i either ... All my subjective opinion of course, but I think the differences between Grados (the SR series at least) are often exaggerated ...

If you can get the 225i for around £150 then I'd say they were worth it, but current UK list price is nearly double that, which is mental. Amazon sell them for £200, but it's through a marketplace seller 'fulfilled' by Amazon, and I'm not sure how legit that is, given Grado's famously hard stance on discounting.

May 20, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #43 of 54
I think pretty soon the ATH900X's will be not needed for import? Thought i heard that somewhere. Anyway, the Grado's are cool - ESPECIALLY for the Kinks :)
I'm liking also the athm30s (Audio Technica, reviewed here: http://www.bestheadphonesunder100.net - they have a direct link to Amazon.co.uk for more info too)

May 21, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #44 of 54
I needed to import the ATH900X's as the UK mark up is amazingly high. Up and over £300.

I think the Grados are a go. 

And yes the kinks are amazing, Well Respected Man is one of the best in my eyes.

May 21, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #45 of 54
Quote:
I needed to import the ATH900X's as the UK mark up is amazingly high. Up and over £300.

I think the Grados are a go. 

And yes the kinks are amazing, Well Respected Man is one of the best in my eyes.

Have you considered the ATH-AD900X? It's an open air design, do you prefer closed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back