Looking to buy some new Headphones (Maybe some Grado SR225i's)
May 19, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #16 of 54
Quote:
That's just not true. Generalizing your experience as if it would be true for everyone else is not helpful. While some people find them uncomfortable, there are plenty of others who do not.

+1

May 19, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #18 of 54
I was looking at some K701's but I have no amp and no plans for one until the 25th of December.

Are there any must have mods for the Grados? I keep on seeing these bright yellow cups that look like something British health and safety would come up with.

I would also like to not I couldn't care less about sound leaking.

I found the Q701s to be harder to drive than the Grados.

As for mods, if you go with the SR80i, you can get 80 to 90% of the way to the sound of the SR225i just by getting the L-Cush pads. I found that the L-Cush's do benefit from softening up. Washed gently with a little hand soap, and then a few hours of use, and they become more comfortable.

May 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #19 of 54
I'd go for the Grado adapter, its about £15 and got a very good build if you want the 225i

I do think it would actually be a good idea to go for a lower Grado (SR80i, not SR60i)  no need for an adapter and just buy new pads, perhaps remove the button and dampen the driver with blu-tac.

While the Q701 are harder to drive some members seemed to portray that they needed the power of 7 suns and a handful of power stations.

May 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #21 of 54
the sr225i's would still be better, but the difference isn't huge (mind you it is still pretty easy to notice)

May 19, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #23 of 54
Thats fair enough,my main issue was cost for the UK, you should scout the head-fi For Sale forums. £250 would get you RS2i's.

May 19, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #24 of 54
Thats fair enough,my main issue was cost for the UK, you should scout the head-fi For Sale forums. £250 would get you RS2i's.

Yep. No reason not to look for used to save you some money.

While the Q701 are harder to drive some members seemed to portray that they needed the power of 7 suns and a handful of power stations.

My experience with them was that that they sound OK on many sources, but definitely benefited from better amplification. Grados seem less picky with portable sources to me.

May 19, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #25 of 54
What sound signature are you looking for? Emphasized bass, recesses highs, etc?

Im sure the ma900 won't disappoint, especially compared to the sr80i (stock pads). The soundstage is humongous and makes the sr80i sound like a closed headphone.
Just my 2c. :D

May 19, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #27 of 54
SR225i compared to the ATH-A900Xs? They are quite different. If you have been leaning toward Grados, the A900Xs would not be a similar experience.

May 19, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #28 of 54
I was looking at both. At first the 900X's but then I noted they needed importing and with the UK's dodgy import tax....

So I wanted to know how it compared with my other choice. 

(I really want some Grados with wood on them)

May 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #29 of 54
The A900X have some sub bass, a slight bit more midbass emphasis, and less soundstage. The Grados are more mid and treble forward. To me, I like the wider soundstage and the imaging on the SR225i better. Also, Grados are well known for excellent transient response. When you couple that with the more forward mids and treble, they really do bring out guitar in rock very well. To my tastes, the A900x are much less engaging to me, more demure in overall sound. But probably more truthful/accurate to the overall recording reproduction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back