Looking to buy some IEMs
Jun 22, 2009 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Eternal187

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy some new in ear monitors. I listen to rock, metal, hip hop/rap. I was considering the westone 3 or the IE8. What do you guys suggest? If you guys have any other options for other IEMs then post your replies.

Jun 22, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #2 of 9
Considering your music choices, I'd pick the IE8. If sound isolation is important to you, you may want a different IEM. Are these your first high end IEM's? I'd recommend listening to your choices before actually making a purchase. We can help you narrow down that set of choices though!

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Berlioz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering your music choices, I'd pick the IE8. If sound isolation is important to you, you may want a different IEM. Are these your first high end IEM's? I'd recommend listening to your choices before actually making a purchase. We can help you narrow down that set of choices though!

No I have the Shure SE530 which I use for classical rock but they aren't good with metal hip hop/rap.

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 9
what is your source? also, do you use flac? have an amp?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eternal187 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No I have the Shure SE530 which I use for classical rock but they aren't good with metal hip hop/rap.

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jh901 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is your source? also, do you use flac? have an amp?

i currently have an ipod touch 2g but i'm selling it and getting the new sony walkman x which is suppose to be released early july in the states and i do not have an amp.

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #7 of 9
IE8 is good for rock and hip hop since you can adjust the bass response to your liking.

I've tried my friend's W3 and for me, the treble is too much. Great bass, though...

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #9 of 9
Both are great choices, but have different strengths. I have the IE8 and have only listened to the W3 for a short period of time, but here are some thoughts:
Both have great dynamics, but the IE8 requires a lot of burn in, say 400+ hours, maybe 1000 to be on the safe side.
IE8: wider stage, more laid back forgiving presentation, better treble extension (not that the W3 sounded lacking or dark), less mid-bass hump (after burn in)
W3: a little more detail and instrument separation, more forward presentation, nice 3D stage

I do think the IE8 is great with metal & R&B.

EDIT: Oh, and both have reported fit issues. From what I have read it seems like the IE8s have less isolation and the W3's have more overall it issues. Basically, both take work to get a good fit for some people, more than most other IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back