Looking to buy new IEM to maximise performance/cost
Apr 20, 2013 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

St0RM53

New Head-Fier
Hello. I'm not an extreme audiophile but i like quality sound re-production. I'm a mechanical engineer and i understand the technology and operation behind sound.

Last year i bought the V-moda remix remote new for around 40gbp. For their price i couldn't find anything better at that moment. Sadly some months ago one of the drivers half-failed. After contacting V-moda i couldn't get them repaired because of buying from not an authorised reseller (which is plain stupid-what warranty is this?). After i decided to repair them myself, although it turned up as not a contact fail, but a driver fails. So i'm looking for new ones now.

Although i don't put a price limit yet, i don't want to break the bank. And price doesn't tell the whole story. They may be cheap where you can buy them but not here. Additionally i'm always looking to get max performance per $$$ on whatever i'm buying. For example Monster just overprices their products, even if they are quality ones. You could say it's a premium but not always this holds true. It's not like Apple that will give you a new one. Also i could just go and buy the drivers directly and then 3d print a housing, solder the cables and done a lot more cheaper.

However looking to find the monitors with the most balanced frequency response (so you hear a flat response) isn't always sounding the best. This is many times due to other factors like how music was processed, etc. Still, there are more things that affect the performance. As for my music tastes i hear from electronic to classical music, but i would hate monitors without good bass reproduction.

So far i've looked online as well in the multi-iem thread (which lacks reviews on v-moda products which i would compare since i have the experience), but i can't narrow my search. Also headphoneinfo.com has good reviews from a technical perspective but is lacking quantity of product reviews. V-moda make the vibrato which i was interested initially, although it's out of stock everywhere, and when i contacted them it will only come out in stock this summer. Plus, when i asked them if they are going to release a new version they didn't answered.

As for "accessories" i would prefer volume control, mic functionality but i could add it after either way. Another thing, is i would greatly prefer something that is durable too, even if i'll have to pay extra.

Kind Regards,
Ken

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #2 of 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back