Looking to buy my first set of real headphones: great soundstage for $200-250
Oct 13, 2011 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jlmitch5

New Head-Fier
Hey all,
I'm new to the whole hi-fi game, so I'm looking for some advice.  I want a pair of full-sized headphones for home stereo and mobile use.  I'm looking to spend around $200.

Aesthetics are important.  I love the Grado look but from what I've read, they aren't the headphones for me.  Good sound separation is an absolute must.  I would say clarity and detail of the mids and highs is second most important.  I don't need an excessive amount of bass, but it is important for the lows to be tight and controlled.

I'll be listening to a lot of ambient and experimental music, along with some synth pop and indie rock.  Pretty much all of the music I listen to on a regular basis employs a hefty amount of reverb, so I'm really looking for some cans that can delve inside that and pick out the distinction that I'm probably missing.

I'm interested in getting a portable headphone amp too, so if you have any suggestions there, they'd be appreciated as well.

Thanks!!

Oct 13, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 3
My recommendation would be to visit a music/guitar center or headphone store and try out all their headphones, then comeback and ask because many people tend to be biased toward their own personal taste. I learned the hard way. Personally studio monitors would be what you want to check out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back