Looking to buy my first serious pair of closed over-ear headphones (200$-400$)
Aug 24, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #76 of 88
Hey Mshenay,

Could you please explain to a poor little HS noob what a DAP is??

Also, i believe that with this setup i would still need to buy a stupid 30 pin/lightning adapter, correct?

Thanks,

Chris

Aug 24, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #77 of 88
Quote:
Hey Mshenay,

Could you please explain to a poor little HS noob what a DAP is??

Also, i believe that with this setup i would still need to buy a stupid 30 pin/lightning adapter, correct?

Thanks,

Chris

Wrong, a DAP is a Digital Audio Player, an iPod is a DAP. The 30pin what ever that thing is, is a Line out for the iPod. Line out gives you a better source to amp from. As opposed to using apple and it's EVIL devices and software, you can try a simple Sony Clip+ which has NATIVE Flac support!

In addition if you sold your iPod [you might get like $150 for it] you would have enough for something like the Hifiman Hm 601, which is POWERFUL enough to drive a beyer Dt 990 un amped [only about $160 used] but add in an e11 and you've got more bass than you know what to do with [and the Hifiman has a Line out via 3.5mm]

Still Apple is evil so support them all you want but BE WARNED... BE WARNED lol 

Aug 24, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #79 of 88
If i were to stick wih my iPod for now, would i be better off buying a LOC with an apple plug and buying a lighting adapter or could i just get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm LOC and plug it into my iPod's headphone jack? Would option #2 affect sound quality since i would not be using my iPod's main output (30 pin)?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions,

Chris

Aug 24, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #80 of 88
Quote:
If i were to stick wih my iPod for now, would i be better off buying a LOC with an apple plug and buying a lighting adapter or could i just get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm LOC and plug it into my iPod's headphone jack? Would option #2 affect sound quality since i would not be using my iPod's main output (30 pin)?

Chris

It would, but would you honestly be able to tell the differance is the question. You might or you might not. I'd stick with just using 3.5mm out from the headphone to the Amp to the Beyer dt 990. if you don't like it or feel there is something missing, spend the extra money WHEN you can afford to! 

Aug 24, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #81 of 88

Chris

Many Apple devices don't need the lightning adapter. Only the newest series models.

Aug 25, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #84 of 88
Do you have enough storage on your iPod? Because if you will start to listen to a good pair of cans, you will go for FLAC and Apple Lossless soon, it really matters what quality your music is. And in Apple Lossless, one track can be 50Mb! So if you buy a normal DAP with FLAC support and extendable memory, you will get a better equipment than with an iPod...

Aug 25, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #85 of 88
Quote:
Do you have enough storage on your iPod? Because if you will start to listen to a good pair of cans, you will go for FLAC and Apple Lossless soon, it really matters what quality your music is. And in Apple Lossless, one track can be 50Mb! So if you buy a normal DAP with FLAC support and extendable memory, you will get a better equipment than with an iPod...

That too, and honestly you really need to ditch you iPod :D, get something like a Hifiman Hm 601 [pairs REALLY NICE] with the Beyer Dt 990, and it has FULL SIZE Sd card expansion slot. So you can get cheap storage, but only up to 32gb on one card [i used to carry around a couple of cards with me so not a big deal imp]

But just enjoy the headphone out and the iPod till you can afford to get a new dap, an the Hifiman has a Line out so you won't need a special cable for that, the Fiio X3 and X5 are also options as is the iBasso DX50 

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #87 of 88
Sry for the last answer, went to one hell of a party last night...........

My iPod has 32gb of storage. However, I will definitely consider buying a new DAP to go with my new cans, whichever model i choose to go with.

Thanks,

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back