Looking to buy my first pair of Sennheisers
Aug 14, 2004 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Zaied

Head-Fier
Im looking to invest in my first pair of relatively inexspensive Senns. Ive been able to give a test hearing to some and I was just blown away. The hype is true! Anyways, Ive saved a little money and I came across the Sennheiser PX100s. They looks pretty cool and I like the compact design. I cant stand really huge studio-ish headphones especially when Im walking around campus.
So my question is are the PX100s good? Good as in much better than what the average joe is using (Sony's etc.) Ill try to be specific in what Im looking for. I want clarity. Ive been playing in a band for 7 years as a drummer and help my friends produce a couple of albums, and when I listen to music, I like to hear all those subtlities (ride/crash cymbals, background rhythm guitars.) I also dont like overpowering bass. I usually keep my bass around the "mid-level". Overpowering bass in headphones usually gives me a headache after about 1/2 hour. I also like warmth in headphones. Lastly, I hate hate hate heavy (as in weight) headphones.

So for around 40-50$ can the PX100s give me what Im looking for?

Aug 14, 2004 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaied
Im looking to invest in my first pair of relatively inexspensive Senns. Ive been able to give a test hearing to some and I was just blown away. The hype is true! Anyways, Ive saved a little money and I came across the Sennheiser PX100s. They looks pretty cool and I like the compact design. I cant stand really huge studio-ish headphones especially when Im walking around campus.
So my question is are the PX100s good? Good as in much better than what the average joe is using (Sony's etc.) Ill try to be specific in what Im looking for. I want clarity. Ive been playing in a band for 7 years as a drummer and help my friends produce a couple of albums, and when I listen to music, I like to hear all those subtlities (ride/crash cymbals, background rhythm guitars.) I also dont like overpowering bass. I usually keep my bass around the "mid-level". Overpowering bass in headphones usually gives me a headache after about 1/2 hour. I also like warmth in headphones. Lastly, I hate hate hate heavy (as in weight) headphones.

So for around 40-50$ can the PX100s give me what Im looking for?

1) They are very light and fold up pretty small and are quite comfy
2) They are not the most subtle headphones in the world and if you want to extract the tiniest details out of music you may need to spend a bit more
3) The sound is pretty good - certainly for the price they are very good value
4) I *personally* find the Bass a tiny bit heavy but not "overpowering" but your response may be different and I am comparing this with the much more expensive HD580s
5) The average Joe (here anyway) probably has phones of at least as good quality - there are a lot of people here who actually like Sonys dont understand it myself but there you go
biggrin.gif

6) Since you appear to be quite "critical" I really would encourage you to listen to a pair first or buy from somewhere with a good return policy.
7) There are other options at that price point but I will leave that to others

Cheers

Jim

Aug 14, 2004 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 23
You should also look into Koss's offerings: the PortaPro, SportaPro, KSC-35, KSC-50, and KSC-55. They're all suppost to sound about the same and I can tell you for sure the PortaPros at least are much better than the stock and Sony Style crap I'd used for years before and I highly reccomend them as an entry level pair of headphones.

Also, if you want a place that sells the PX100 with a good return policy you should look into Headphone.com (Head-Fi Sponsor HeadRoom)

Aug 14, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sc53
I love the Senn PX100's for portable use. I have HD650's too and am spoiled for good sound. I can use the PX100's without feeling I've sacrificed too much--esp. given their price.

Quote!!! I would have said the same words. I have both Px100 and HD-650 and the Px100 are surprisingly good for their price, warm, a little bassy but not boomy, and quite detailed. I have also the Koss PortaPro and they sound similar in tonal balance, but with a different "soul", more natural from the upper midrange to highs, but a little less defined from mid-bass to low bass. The Px100 seems also a little bit "quicker". Both headphones reaches suprisingly the 20 Hz flat!!!
basshead.gif

Andrea

Aug 14, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 23
I prefer my PX-100s to my Koss Porta Pros for general listening. The sennheisers seem to present a more accurate and clear representation of music that I find more pleasing than the forward mids/slower transients/bassy Koss Porta Pros. The sound signature for the Porta Pros is conducive to rock, but I find that its bass response is excessive for some types of music.

Pop in "So Happy Together" by The Turtles to see what I mean...it sounds like they are using a war drum :).

The Porta Pros do possess several advantages, however. They are easier to drive than the PX-100s from portables. I really find that I don't get the most out of my PX-100s without an amp/good source (the highs and bass roll off occasionally, compelling me to baby the volume with some types of music, especially rock). Meanwhile, the Porta Pros sound great for rock without an amp, providing an added advantage of squelching excessive treble (like cymbals).

Also, they don't slip from your head the same way the PX-100s do if you run. Porta Pros stick to your head like glue.

Honestly, I don't think you can do better than the sennheiser PX-100s or Koss Porta Pros for that price range ($40-$50).

If I could have one and only one, I'd go with the PX-100s.

Aug 15, 2004 at 2:21 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
2) They are not the most subtle headphones in the world and if you want to extract the tiniest details out of music you may need to spend a bit more

Cheers

Jim

Well I dont want to hear every single detail exactly. Some headphones dont balance out the layers in music correctly. eg. Sony's in ears do this by upping the treble and bass, killing all ambience/detail of any kind. Im not looking for anything super high end, but like i said something better than what your average music listener is using.

Aug 15, 2004 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I prefer my PX-100s to my Koss Porta Pros for general listening. The sennheisers seem to present a more accurate and clear representation of music that I find more pleasing than the forward mids/slower transients/bassy Koss Porta Pros. The sound signature for the Porta Pros is conducive to rock, but I find that its bass response is excessive for some types of music.

Pop in "So Happy Together" by The Turtles to see what I mean...it sounds like they are using a war drum :).

The Porta Pros do possess several advantages, however. They are easier to drive than the PX-100s from portables. I really find that I don't get the most out of my PX-100s without an amp/good source (the highs and bass roll off occasionally, compelling me to baby the volume with some types of music, especially rock). Meanwhile, the Porta Pros sound great for rock without an amp, providing an added advantage of squelching excessive treble (like cymbals).

Also, they don't slip from your head the same way the PX-100s do if you run. Porta Pros stick to your head like glue.

Honestly, I don't think you can do better than the sennheiser PX-100s or Koss Porta Pros for that price range ($40-$50).

If I could have one and only one, I'd go with the PX-100s.

Koss has always seemed a bit bassy to me. Im edging torwards the PX100, but how is the sound leakage?

One more thing, what else could you reccomend in the 40-50$ that as good/better than the Px100 in terms of sound/compactness etc.?

Aug 15, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #9 of 23
I have both PX100 and Portapro as portables. But I also have the best portable I ever listened to, that is Grado SR 40. The are out of production, but I think they still are in store in some places. I think the price is about the same as px100 in US.
They are clumsier than PX100, but for a walk they are portable enough. A little too big for travel, in my taste.
The sound is perfect for my ears. I get all details and good bass.
My HD595 have more space and are a little warmer, but I don’t miss much with my Grado Sr 40. They are a universum better than px100 and Portapro.

Georg Langrath

Aug 15, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Im edging torwards the PX100, but how is the sound leakage?

Porta Pros leak less noise than the PX-100s. I don't know if it has to do with the fact that the Porta Pros clamp your head tighter or what, but they definitely leak less noise.

PX-100s are in fact noisy little suckers that don't isolate noise AT ALL, which is why I prefer listening to them in a silent room alone. When I'm wandering around with them, it's generally not a problem, but if you're working around other people, it could be one.

Aug 29, 2004 at 2:40 PM Post #12 of 23
I grew up as a kid listening to the metal band foam pad headphones and i have to say i cant stand those styles anymore. I dont know how many different styles and types ive tryed and they never would stay on my head. They were good for walking but i was to active for them to stay on.

Aug 29, 2004 at 4:03 PM Post #13 of 23
Ok, I see this is an old(er) thread but can't anyone (except for Langrath) read?

"I like my PX100s" isn't the aswer to the question.
The answer to Zaied's question is NO.

The px100 bass DOES overpower the rest of the frequenty range. And warmth, that is midrange right? I have trouble finding that in the PX100.
If he wants cheap senns the MX500 would suit him (or her?) much better! And I think Langrath is right. SR40s are supposed to have the same drivers as SR60s and that's a soundsignature much closer to the discription Zaied gave.

Don't get me wrong. The px100 has a lot of strong points. It's detailed. Bass goes pretty low for a headphone like that. They're laid back and smooth...all in all quite a lot going for them.

Just wanted to say this might this thread come up in a search.

Aug 30, 2004 at 12:04 AM Post #14 of 23
Good points Lisa.

I'm wondering why no one has suggested either the Beyer DT 231 or the Grado SR60. Both can be had for $50-$60 and although I haven't personally heard the Beyers, Headroom sure has a lot of good things to say about them (and not just because they sell them--they don't exactly rave about every headphone they sell).

Or, there's always the PX100's & Porta Pro's...
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2004 at 2:12 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa

Just wanted to say this might this thread come up in a search.

I searched! Thanks for the new info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back