Looking to buy my first IEM
Feb 8, 2014 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

bfielder

New Head-Fier
Been lurking around the site a little bit before signing up just now.  As the title states i'm looking to get into my first IEM.  Lately just been using the stock earbuds that came with my Galaxy S4.  They're bad and very uncomfortable.  I have a budget of up to $150 but would prefer to keep it at $100.  Main use will be on my phone and some on my laptop.  No DAC or anything as of now.  

My music tastes are a little bit of everything.  I like rap, heavy metal, classic rock, country, and even some EDM type music.  other than budget I don't have many absolute musts as far as requirements go.  I would prefer to have some sort of inline mic though.  So yeah if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.  Any other questions for me feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 8, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 22
Yamaha EPH100
Vsonic GR07 BE
Philips Fidelio S2 (though their semi open)
Monster Gratitude

Some suggestions for ya

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 22
I dont recommend the SE215 because the bass is a bit muddy. The soud signature does seem to fit ur needs tho

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #9 of 22
Well after doing my research, and reading what other people have to say and taking price into consideration I have narrowed my choices down to four.

Dunu DN-19 Tae Chi

HiFiMan RE-400

Etymotic Research HF5

RHA MA750

Tell me which to get and why.  All priced close enough to the same range so price isn't a factor.  

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #10 of 22
the etys are classics. there is a reason why they have been around so long and mostly unchanged over a long period of time. they are not the sexy choice but if you want a great iem that truly competes with ones that cost 2x as much then you must consider them. i havent heard the rha but they are reported to be bass heavy. i question HIFIMAN attention to detail and build quality but sound is good. dont know a thing about dunu.

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #12 of 22
The Hifiman earphone at around 100 dollars would be the RE-400 which i wouldnt recommend for things like EDM and hip hop. Theyre not very bassy

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #14 of 22
Well just ordered the Etymotic Research HF2.  From what I've heard and the research I did I felt they were a good way to go.  Thanks for all the help.  I plan on doing my own personal review on them once I receive them and burn them in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back