Looking to buy good powered bookshelf speakers with a subwoofer
Apr 19, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #17 of 31
I assume that means it should work then? I'm new to the hi-fi speaker world it's a lot more confusing than the hi headphone world.
By the design of the back panel, (line-inputs & line-outputs), I'm fairly sure it would work with studio monitors, but it would be nice to read it's manual.

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #18 of 31
I watched review for that 12 inch monoprice subwoofer and apparently the amp is underpowered in it and it suffers from really bad box rattle and is only worth about $100 in the states it's $169 here in Canada. Apparently the monoprice speakers are also going to be $ 298.53. Would it be cheaper to get Active speakers and a cheap small stereo amp instead? edit: otherwise I'll have to just buy the speakers because the selection of subwoofers that I can use with the speakers is limited overpriced or not in stock until next month. Unless you know of any other subwoofers I could get. I'm also going to go to a home theatre store tomorrow to see what they have maybe they'll have some good powered bookshelf speakers.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #20 of 31
I watched review for that 12 inch monoprice subwoofer and apparently the amp is underpowered in it and it suffers from really bad box rattle and is only worth about $100 in the states it's $169 here in Canada. Apparently the monoprice speakers are also going to be $ 298.53. Would it be cheaper to get Active speakers and a cheap small stereo amp instead? edit: otherwise I'll have to just buy the speakers because the selection of subwoofers that I can use with the speakers is limited overpriced or not in stock until next month. Unless you know of any other subwoofers I could get. I'm also going to go to a home theatre store tomorrow to see what they have maybe they'll have some good powered bookshelf speakers.
Check out Parts-Express and the Dayton audio brand, speakers and speaker amplifier and sub-woofer.
https://www.parts-express.com/cat/home-speakers/42?N=18502+4294967118+4294967060&Ne=10166&Nrs=collection()/record[endeca:matches(.,"P_PortalID","1")+and+endeca:matches(.,"P_Searchable","1")]&PortalID=1
Or the Pioneer book shelf speakers.
https://www.parts-express.com/cat/h...earchable","1")]&PortalID=1&showMoreIds=10014

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #21 of 31
My 2 cents: I feel like investing in powered speakers isn't worth it unless you spend a certain amount of money, just because headphones offer such a higher fidelity at a lower cost, generally. You may want to consider buying the best bookshelf speakers you can afford, along with an amp to drive them. Then, waiting for the right subwoofer to come along isn't going to be as much of a necessity (depending on how bassy you want your overall sound to be). I'm really happy with just running my Elacs as a 2.0 system. The 5" woofer goes down to around 30 Hz, which is more than I can say for the Sennheiser HD650. Lol.

Apr 20, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #22 of 31
My 2 cents: I feel like investing in powered speakers isn't worth it unless you spend a certain amount of money, just because headphones offer such a higher fidelity at a lower cost, generally. You may want to consider buying the best bookshelf speakers you can afford, along with an amp to drive them. Then, waiting for the right subwoofer to come along isn't going to be as much of a necessity (depending on how bassy you want your overall sound to be). I'm really happy with just running my Elacs as a 2.0 system. The 5" woofer goes down to around 30 Hz, which is more than I can say for the Sennheiser HD650. Lol.

I like this, I have a set of 305p MK II from JBL [skip the 30Xs they are based on an older model of the 305 and the newer version from JBL is exceptional and always available] I also have them sitting on some ProJax Monitor isolation feet and I'm quite happy with their performance. My office is small and they go down comfortable to about 40 hrz. I've been impressed with how well they handle a lot of EDM to.

I can't comment on having a sub but I've not been impressed with a lot of them that I've heard. I've typically found my self most impressed with full range speakers especially at or around 2,000

Apr 21, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #23 of 31
May 2, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #25 of 31
Well I bought the edifier R1850B passive bookshelf speakers and they sound awesome but I ran into a snag getting the subwoofer and amplifier to work with the speakers apparently I chose the wrong type of amplifier and the subwoofer won't work with the amp because it is only meant for two speakers and not a subwoofer. The polk psw10 inch subwoofer I bought has a rca connection only but the speakers I bought have a sub out connection. How would I go about connecting the subwoofer and speakers to this mini amplifier.

Would this mini amplifier work instead? I bought the stereo 2.0 amplifier but it won't work with a subwoofer this one should work though right?

https://www.amazon.com/TPA3116D2-Amplifier-Audio-Independent-Adjustment/dp/B077QPTPVW

May 3, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #26 of 31
Well I bought the edifier R1850B passive bookshelf speakers and they sound awesome but I ran into a snag getting the subwoofer and amplifier to work with the speakers apparently I chose the wrong type of amplifier and the subwoofer won't work with the amp because it is only meant for two speakers and not a subwoofer. The polk psw10 inch subwoofer I bought has a rca connection only but the speakers I bought have a sub out connection. How would I go about connecting the subwoofer and speakers to this mini amplifier.

Would this mini amplifier work instead? I bought the stereo 2.0 amplifier but it won't work with a subwoofer this one should work though right?

https://www.amazon.com/TPA3116D2-Amplifier-Audio-Independent-Adjustment/dp/B077QPTPVW

Why do you keep insisting to use an amplifier with a speaker and subwoofer that already has their own amplifiers built into them? That's the entire reason why the Edifier and Dayton need to get plugged into the wall outlet. What you need is a preamplifier so you have unity gain, ie, you set the gain on the speakers and the subwoofer and then past that unless you want to go from flat to house rocking bass you only need to move the knob on the preamp when you change volume level.

May 3, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #27 of 31
Whoops I thought the edifier speakers were passive when they are actually active speakers then I would only need a preamp to able to use the subwoofer with the speakers then right? The subwoofer I bought the polk psw10 it has two rca cables how would I connect the subwoofer to the preamp would an rca to y cable work like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D5H8SGC/ref=psdc_3236443011_t1_B00005T3G4? I also forgot to mention that I'm using the speakers with my tv through the optical connection. Would the optical connection still work with the preamp or would I need a optical to rca converter in order to use it with my tv would it effect the sound quality at all if I used rca instead of optical? Also here's the preamp I was talking about. https://www.amazon.ca/Dilvpoetry-TU...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1556904405&sr=1-20

May 4, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #28 of 31
Whoops I thought the edifier speakers were passive when they are actually active speakers then I would only need a preamp to able to use the subwoofer with the speakers then right? The subwoofer I bought the polk psw10 it has two rca cables how would I connect the subwoofer to the preamp would an rca to y cable work like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D5H8SGC/ref=psdc_3236443011_t1_B00005T3G4?

That can work but check the speakers if they have a sub output.

I also forgot to mention that I'm using the speakers with my tv through the optical connection. Would the optical connection still work with the preamp or would I need a optical to rca converter in order to use it with my tv would it effect the sound quality at all if I used rca instead of optical?

If you're using optical output from the HDTV direct into the speakers then you don't need the preamp since the signal goes directly into the DAC on the Master speaker.

What you need is an active speaker that has a sub output and a remote control. Best return whatever you already have and get something that has those unless your speakers have them. Some Edifiers have that, or get a deedicated 2.1 set like the 2.1 version of the Luna HD25 which has the amplifier circuits on the sub module and the satellites are passive.

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #29 of 31
The edfier R1850Db are active speakers with an amp built into the right speaker. It also has a sub out connection and a remote control. So if I get a rca to sub out cable and connect it to the dac built into the right speaker then I can still use the optical connection connected to the tv at the same time as the subwoofer is connected with an rca cable to the dac. Or would the tv not be able to detect the subwoofer if it is already using the optical input on the tv and dac. I'm really confused on how to get the subwoofer and speakers to work together with my tv. I'm going to go down to a home theater store near me tomorrow and ask one of the customer service representatives what kind of cable I would to use the subwoofer with my speakers. I'm confused because I don't know what the cable looks like or where to connect the connections to get it to work if I can visualize the cables and connections that would help me alot.

May 5, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #30 of 31
The edfier R1850Db are active speakers with an amp built into the right speaker. It also has a sub out connection and a remote control. So if I get a rca to sub out cable and connect it to the dac built into the right speaker then I can still use the optical connection connected to the tv at the same time as the subwoofer is connected with an rca cable to the dac.

That can work, so no need for the preamp.

Or would the tv not be able to detect the subwoofer if it is already using the optical input on the tv and dac. I'm really confused on how to get the subwoofer and speakers to work together with my tv.

I'm not sure why you even think the TV needs to detect the subwoofer.

The TV isn't an HT receiver that needs to send out the LFE signal. All you have to do is make sure you don't use a 5.1 or 2.1 programmed signal option on the options of whatever movie or show you're watching. HDTV receives fullrange 2.0 signal, HDTV sends out SPDIF 2.0 fullrange signal, Edifier R1850DB receives SPDIF fullrange signal, Edifier R1850DB either applies a low pass filter or sends out fullrange mono signal to subwoofer, subwoofer applies low pass filter before the signal enters its amp output stage and then gets amplified to move the subwoofer driver.

I'm going to go down to a home theater store near me tomorrow and ask one of the customer service representatives what kind of cable I would to use the subwoofer with my speakers. I'm confused because I don't know what the cable looks like or where to connect the connections to get it to work if I can visualize the cables and connections that would help me alot.

It's a mono coaxial cable. Just make sure the Edifier's output is RCA (I'm quite sure it is but double check). You can use a regular run of RCA stereo cables (just one of the pair), or a 75ohm coaxial SPDIF cable, or a single RCA analogue or SPDIF coax sold and labelled as a "subwoofer cable" by some brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back