Looking to Buy FLAC player or AMP/DAC and Headphones/IEMS -
Jun 14, 2015 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Tyriall

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys.

I have been on the lookout of a large capacity player that supports FLAC and any other uncompressed formats. I have been eyeing of the FiiO X3 2nd gen over the last few weeks after reading some reviews here. I was also considering the X5 but i think it's too big physically for what i need.

From what I have found so far Here is my short list based on looks and reviews. Would love some opinions and even some extra suggestions.

Cowon M
FiiO X3 ii
Astell & Kern JR

I already have a set of Shure SE315's (need replacing) that I used for Gigs and everyday listening via my iPhone, and I also have a pair of SR840's which I use when recording vocals. Looking to find a pair of headphones to suit traveling... Thinking something along the lines of the Momentum 2's or a new pair of IEM's any suggestions would be great.

I listen to mostly listen to Musical Theatre and Orchestral stuff, some Acoustic and some top 40 stuff too.

Also would love to know peoples thoughts on pairing and iPhone 6+ with an amp like the OPPO HA-2 or one of the FiiO portable DAC's. Would love to use it on my MacBook too.

Budget s around AUD$1500

Cheers

Tyriall

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 14
I've listened a good bit to the first gen X3, and it sounds very good.

You might look into the Cayin N6: http://penonaudio.com/music-mp3-players/Portable/Cayin-N6.

I understand it based on the same amp as the Cayin C5 that is currently popular on Head-Fi: http://headfonics.com/2015/04/the-n6-dap-by-cayin/

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 14
Thats for the Suggestion Cel.

I had been reading about this one and all the reviews look great but aesthetically it just does nothing for me. I have always been a fan of the A&K build though not their looks all the time, a little too edgy for me at times. the FiiO's look great but are physically quite big.

I know where i can test out both the X3 and N6 so I will be doing that Thursday most likely.

I have to say the APT-X capabilities that the A&K JR have are intriguing as I am currently looking into a new Pair of Cans...Possibly with BT and NC. Just need to find somewhere to test it in Melbourne

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #4 of 14
  Hi Guys.

I have been on the lookout of a large capacity player that supports FLAC and any other uncompressed formats. I have been eyeing of the FiiO X3 2nd gen over the last few weeks after reading some reviews here. I was also considering the X5 but i think it's too big physically for what i need.

From what I have found so far Here is my short list based on looks and reviews. Would love some opinions and even some extra suggestions.

Cowon M
FiiO X3 ii
Astell & Kern JR

I already have a set of Shure SE315's (need replacing) that I used for Gigs and everyday listening via my iPhone, and I also have a pair of SR840's which I use when recording vocals. Looking to find a pair of headphones to suit traveling... Thinking something along the lines of the Momentum 2's or a new pair of IEM's any suggestions would be great.

I listen to mostly listen to Musical Theatre and Orchestral stuff, some Acoustic and some top 40 stuff too.

Also would love to know peoples thoughts on pairing and iPhone 6+ with an amp like the OPPO HA-2 or one of the FiiO portable DAC's. Would love to use it on my MacBook too.

Budget s around AUD$1500

Cheers

Tyriall

Make sure you're aware of how their firmware and file management systems work, they do not work in any way like iTunes. Too many people came back to the X3 and DX50 threads ranting about how much better iTunes is, when during development it was kind of obvious that people were asking specifically that they not need some kind of syncing program.

Alternately you can just use a high sensitivity IEM or headphone on the go so your iPhone doesn't reach distortion levels at regular listening levels, then you can just spend most of your money on a desktop system where even the iPhone (along with the Macbook) can function as a transport and you can use an amp that can drive practically anything you hook up to it.

Jun 15, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #5 of 14
Totally aware of those complaints by people. And personally was not liking anything iTunesesque. Having used cowon products in the past my music is sorted for drag and drop.

Definitely want to get an upgrade to my shures and a good over ear that not crazy bulky for travel. You would recommend maybe skipping the dedicated dap and get an amp then?

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #6 of 14
Definitely want to get an upgrade to my shures and a good over ear that not crazy bulky for travel. You would recommend maybe skipping the dedicated dap and get an amp then?

For people for whom working outside of iTunes is like a prisoner or soldier suddenly going nuts without a structured life around them built up by authority, absolutely. Otherwise, it's one of two options, but I'd say think about the entirety of the system.

If you can do a lot of listening at a stationary position, then just get an efficient IEM for portable use, then spend the rest of the money on headphones and on the amp needed to drive them. If it will mostly be portable, but you'd like to occasionally listen at home with large headphones, go with a powerful portable player, a decent IEM, and then a fullsize headphone it can easily drive. I am however partial to the first option, even though I'm not one to like iTunes.

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #7 of 14
I'm leaning more towards the IEM and headphone rout and getting a nice DAC.... Having sir probability to use say I a train or bus would be great.

I'm traveling a fair bit next month so I'd like to get something to use for then. I usually use my Shure owns when flying but i am considering finally going anc

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #8 of 14
I'm leaning more towards the IEM and headphone rout and getting a nice DAC.... Having sir probability to use say I a train or bus would be great.

The FiiO DAPs can be used as a USB DAC. Not sure about Mac compatibility, but you could check into that.

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #9 of 14

I'm traveling a fair bit next month so I'd like to get something to use for then. I usually use my Shure owns when flying but i am considering finally going anc

A DAC isn't too useful with an ANC headphone, especially if you use the headphone output of the DAC-HPamp or player, since the headphone will have its own amplifier circuit built into them. Weak, sure, but it's like double-amping with the higher THD amp second, meaning its driving capability and THD will be what matters.

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #11 of 14
So maybe wear ANC cans over the IEMs?

I'm not sure if that will work - I think the ANC circuit needs to have an input signal where they integrate the sounds that cancel ambient noise, as opposed to just functioning as ambient noise cancellers without a portable player attached. You can save a lot of money but on a similar trick by getting those earmuffs for industrial settings, the kind used by people using jackhammers on concrete. They're usually yellow.

Any suggestions on IEMs?

Personally, IF a lot of your listening isn't in a quiet room at home, I'd much rather blow $600 to $8000 on good CIEMs that will give a lot of isolation thereby allowing you to listen to music without needing more power than what a smartphone can give you, then around $200 or so on a DAC-HPamp at home so you can use it with a more convenient volume control instead of accessing the OS volume control on your computer.

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #12 of 14

I'm not sure if that will work - I think the ANC circuit needs to have an input signal where they integrate the sounds that cancel ambient noise, as opposed to just functioning as ambient noise cancellers without a portable player attached. You can save a lot of money but on a similar trick by getting those earmuffs for industrial settings, the kind used by people using jackhammers on concrete. They're usually yellow.

Personally, IF a lot of your listening isn't in a quiet room at home, I'd much rather blow $600 to $8000 on good CIEMs that will give a lot of isolation thereby allowing you to listen to music without needing more power than what a smartphone can give you, then around $200 or so on a DAC-HPamp at home so you can use it with a more convenient volume control instead of accessing the OS volume control on your computer.

You don't need an input signal for most ANC earphones. I know that with the Parrot Zik range, Sennheiser and Audi Technica Range you can just have the ANC on. And they are generally more travel friendly than construction equipment haha

I listen mostly on planes, trains and the gym. If i'm at home i'm using my Speakers or Over ears. I have Shure 840 Over ears and they are really bulky to carry around. My SE325 IEMS have a custom cable on it which doesn't actually sound the greatest straight out of the phone and even then the connector doesn't clip in properly and looses connection very easily. I used to have a Set of Westone 1's (first foray into IEMs) until my dog got a hold of them and destroyed them :frowning2: they were probably the more comfortable of the ones I have used.

Considering CIEM's atm... The Ultimate Ears UE RM Reference Custom In Ear Monitor look quite nice and the reviews show that they dont to fall more on the natural side of things. I'm not a bass head so I don't need particularly over delivering IEMS in that area. I would be using them for Recording Music as well.

I have always wanted a pair of SE535's and SE846's. My Shure products in the past have always been good to me.

I have a rather large FLAC library which is why I was considering a DAP and also the fact Apple don't support FLAC.

Jun 16, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't need an input signal for most ANC earphones. I know that with the Parrot Zik range, Sennheiser and Audi Technica Range you can just have the ANC on. And they are generally more travel friendly than construction equipment haha

I listen mostly on planes, trains and the gym. If i'm at home i'm using my Speakers or Over ears. I have Shure 840 Over ears and they are really bulky to carry around. My SE325 IEMS have a custom cable on it which doesn't actually sound the greatest straight out of the phone and even then the connector doesn't clip in properly and looses connection very easily. I used to have a Set of Westone 1's (first foray into IEMs) until my dog got a hold of them and destroyed them :frowning2: they were probably the more comfortable of the ones I have used.

Considering CIEM's atm... The Ultimate Ears UE RM Reference Custom In Ear Monitor look quite nice and the reviews show that they dont to fall more on the natural side of things. I'm not a bass head so I don't need particularly over delivering IEMS in that area. I would be using them for Recording Music as well.

I have always wanted a pair of SE535's and SE846's. My Shure products in the past have always been good to me.

I have a rather large FLAC library which is why I was considering a DAP and also the fact Apple don't support FLAC.

A CIEM will seal your ear canals a lot better, and at least you won't have to worry about the charge on the ANC headphones.

As for FLAC playback on iOS, I just use FLACPlayer on my iPad. It doesn't work as easily as managing folders on an SDcard, but I can live with it; then again, the thing is my iPad has become more of a browser. I listen with it only when I'm reading an ebook.

Jun 20, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #14 of 14
I went and tested out the Westone W60 and the Shure SE535 and 846. Got to say the Westones were the most comfortable ones and probably best overall sound though some live recordings were a little dull. The 535's had the crap loads of space. It was like listening to all the instruments on individual tracks at once rather than all mushed into one track. The 846 however were disappointing to my ear...especially for that price. the treble tended to crackle for some reason on some tracks and I couldn't replicate that in other headphones.

As for CIEMS i tried two of the JH audio ones... Cant remember the model, one had two bass drivers i think. While both really great sounds one was too pronounced in the bass and the other the vocals were really quite veiled. 

Hoping to get my hands on some UE CIEMS to test at another store next week.

I used VLC to host my FLAC recordings on my iPhone 6+. Worked a treat after a few restarts of the app to see all the tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back