Looking to buy first headphone AMP
Mar 11, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #17 of 34
^ whats your budget?? if yoiu want something that is flexible; get a really neutral amp, like Iqube and pico to some extent

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ whats your budget?? if yoiu want something that is flexible; get a really neutral amp, like Iqube and pico to some extent

Right now since I'm waiting for my D2000 I still got time to save up. I'm inclined to just picked up the IM since it's only $100 and see how I enjoy it after burn in. Majority of the time when I listen to music at home it's on my home audio setup.

I plan on using the AMP/DAC to start producing some music. For now I'm looking just for a solid entry level AMP/DAC so I'd say max would be $200. High end portable AMP/DAC isn't something I'd really want to invest in. I'd rather get use to a solid portable AMP and later move on to a separate AMP and DAC.

Now that I think about it... Not sure how much you guys know about home audio stuff but how does a Pre-AMP for home audio compare to a headphone AMP? Later on I plan on getting a Pre-AMP to pair up with my current A/V Receiver. Do those do any good with headphones?

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayxem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now since I'm waiting for my D2000 I still got time to save up. I'm inclined to just picked up the IM since it's only $100 and see how I enjoy it after burn in. Majority of the time when I listen to music at home it's on my home audio setup.

I plan on using the AMP/DAC to start producing some music. For now I'm looking just for a solid entry level AMP/DAC so I'd say max would be $200. High end portable AMP/DAC isn't something I'd really want to invest in. I'd rather get use to a solid portable AMP and later move on to a separate AMP and DAC.

Now that I think about it... Not sure how much you guys know about home audio stuff but how does a Pre-AMP for home audio compare to a headphone AMP? Later on I plan on getting a Pre-AMP to pair up with my current A/V Receiver. Do those do any good with headphones?

Hmm...if that's what you're looking to do, I might recommend a really good DAC unit that's not portable for home use, and then just getting a portable amp without DAC where the full budget goes to amplification and you get better overall sound quality that way. Here at home, I have a Benchmark DAC1 that I just ordered a cable to send audio out to my P-51 Mustang so I can get better sound than using my PC's sound card (WAY too much noise!) or the Icon Mobile by itself. The Icon Mobile will stay with my laptop, though, because it is an inexpensive but good sounding portable DAC/amp. It really can't hold a candle to the Mustang as far as amplified sound quality goes, nor is it as good a DAC as the DAC1, but one could buy a case full of Icon Mobiles for the cost of the DAC1 plus the Mustang combined. The balanced audio outs on the DAC1 go to my control amp for my speakers, and the RCA outs will feed the P-51 Mustang for headphones (the DAC1's notched volume control isn't granular enough and it's too high gain for the Westone 3, plus I want to compare the P-51's amplification stage versus the DAC1's).

As far as pre-amp, I'm sorry but I cannot tell you. I'm a stickler for simplicity, and rather than going with a pre-amp to amp setup, I've been using a PS Audio control amp (similar to an integrated, but it's really a single amp with variable gain and not a pre-amp and amp together in a single chassis with volume attenuator) out of my DAC1 for my speakers.

-Ed

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

I used to listen to my notoriously hard to drive AKG K501 with my Rotel RC-970BX preamp, it doesn't power it to it's full potential but it does sound pleasant. I still use the combo sometimes for watching TV shows late at night and I have never heard TV sounded so good.
biggrin.gif
I'd imagine easier to drive phones like D2000 is likely fine, but takes this with a grain of salt as I have never tried the pairing. And probably not all preamps will sound decent, but the good news is that you can just bring your headphones to the audio showroom and plug it in and listen if you like it.

Preamps or integrated amps from the 90s can be had used for really cheap. But if you are intending it for headphone use, I'd recommend some relatively low cost DIY amp like CKKIII, M3 or PIMETA, they would work as preamp too. There are also tube design if you are into it. If you can't build one yourself you can approach DIYers here to build one for you, they also appear in the buy and sell forum here from time to time. IMHO get a portable amp only if you need portability.

Mar 12, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...if that's what you're looking to do, I might recommend a really good DAC unit that's not portable for home use, and then just getting a portable amp without DAC where the full budget goes to amplification and you get better overall sound quality that way. Here at home, I have a Benchmark DAC1 that I just ordered a cable to send audio out to my P-51 Mustang so I can get better sound than using my PC's sound card (WAY too much noise!) or the Icon Mobile by itself. The Icon Mobile will stay with my laptop, though, because it is an inexpensive but good sounding portable DAC/amp. It really can't hold a candle to the Mustang as far as amplified sound quality goes, nor is it as good a DAC as the DAC1, but one could buy a case full of Icon Mobiles for the cost of the DAC1 plus the Mustang combined. The balanced audio outs on the DAC1 go to my control amp for my speakers, and the RCA outs will feed the P-51 Mustang for headphones (the DAC1's notched volume control isn't granular enough and it's too high gain for the Westone 3, plus I want to compare the P-51's amplification stage versus the DAC1's).

As far as pre-amp, I'm sorry but I cannot tell you. I'm a stickler for simplicity, and rather than going with a pre-amp to amp setup, I've been using a PS Audio control amp (similar to an integrated, but it's really a single amp with variable gain and not a pre-amp and amp together in a single chassis with volume attenuator) out of my DAC1 for my speakers.

-Ed

So are you saying to get a desktop DAC and then pick up a portable headphone AMP without a DAC? And later when I get the extra cash pick up a desktop AMP for home rig?

Man the DAC1 looks sexy but couldn't justify paying $1,000 for it being a college student.

Mar 12, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to listen to my notoriously hard to drive AKG K501 with my Rotel RC-970BX preamp, it doesn't power it to it's full potential but it does sound pleasant. I still use the combo sometimes for watching TV shows late at night and I have never heard TV sounded so good.
biggrin.gif
I'd imagine easier to drive phones like D2000 is likely fine, but takes this with a grain of salt as I have never tried the pairing. And probably not all preamps will sound decent, but the good news is that you can just bring your headphones to the audio showroom and plug it in and listen if you like it.

Preamps or integrated amps from the 90s can be had used for really cheap. But if you are intending it for headphone use, I'd recommend some relatively low cost DIY amp like CKKIII, M3 or PIMETA, they would work as preamp too. There are also tube design if you are into it. If you can't build one yourself you can approach DIYers here to build one for you, they also appear in the buy and sell forum here from time to time. IMHO get a portable amp only if you need portability.

The reason I bring up the pre-amp is because I know later along the road I'll be getting a pre-AMP for my A/V Receiver and might just use that instead of investing in a solid amp just for headphones. The concept that a A/V Receiver doesn't power headphones well is entirely new to me.

Wondered if a A/V Receiver doesn't power headphones well does separates power headphones better/or same with the Pre-AMP than a regular A/V Receiver. Have old family relative that I might inherit a nice big pre-amp that powers their enormous condo on the beach.

Chances are I might pick up the IM because it's only $100 and seems like decent little entry DAC/AMP. I'm getting back into DJing and want to start producing. I have a new 15" Mac Book Pro so might just use that if DJ somewhere. Thing is I have two PCs at home and one of them has an Onkyo receiver and the other has my Sony receiver that does my HD decoding. While right now I have budget of $200 for AMP it seems like might be in best interest to pick up a portable rig that I can use for any use and improve sound quality on the D2000's. Later on maybe pick up a standalone desktop DAC & AMP. Unless of course I can get a standalone desktop DAC + portable AMP for around $200.

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

This is my first post so plz be easy on the noob.

I'm looking to invest in entry level headphone setup.
I am really into home audio and take pride on having a great setup being a college student. I was disappointed to find out how terrible AV Receivers are for powering headphones. Now I'm willing to take a dive into getting a separate AMP for a new pair of headphones. My main AV Receiver is a Sony STRDG1000. Are they really that bad at powering headphones compared to dedicated headphone amps?

With little research I've found the HeadRoom Total BitHead AMP to be a decent deal. Would like to get a desktop setup but considering this is my first headphone AMP I believe that portable might be the way for now (and for my wallet now). Would this be a good buy or any other recommendations for budget being around $150. I like how it has a DAC.

I'm also looking to get a set of headphones.
I currently use to own Sony MDR-V700 DJ headphone and found the sound to be not on par as I thought they would be. Not to mention they were extremely uncomfortable for long periods of time.

The two I've narrowed it down to are the Grado SR80 & Denon D1001.
Going to post in the headphone thread to see if these will fit my musical taste (Dubstep & Trip-Hop) the best. Budget for headphones would be $100-$150.

Thanks!
Surprised to see how large a headphones community is. Might just suck me in.

IMHO the fireye is a fantastic starting headphone amp and very very affordable ($77 + another $10 or so shipping).

Quote:

It depends if you want/need a DAC or not?

I suggest if you think this is "for you"...then spend as much as you can...so you are not searching and searching for the next greatest or better sound.

Get something to grow into...

I suggest the ibasso D3
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/i...review-376315/

I also approve of this thread

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

So are you saying to get a desktop DAC and then pick up a portable headphone AMP without a DAC? And later when I get the extra cash pick up a desktop AMP for home rig?

Man the DAC1 looks sexy but couldn't justify paying $1,000 for it being a college student.

For the most part, maybe not necessarily the very last bit about a desktop amp for the home rig later; if the portable amp is really good, that may not really be necessary.

The Benchmark DAC1 isn't new, but it's proven to be good, and it has more input options than mere USB alone. It's true that it is not inexpensive--it's professional equipment, after all.

Perhaps you can find a used example of the old model like mine (black one with no USB input) for a reasonable price on eBay or something?

-Ed

Mar 13, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #25 of 34
After doing some more reading up on things and checking out the full size headphone amp section I think I've decided to bring it down to the IM or the iBasso D3.

My logic is that getting a portable AMP/DAC will introduce me to the sound of a headphone AMP paired up with hopefully excellent headphones, D2000.

Chances are I'm going to fall in love with what I hear. I'll then most likely pick up a desktop AMP to keep for everyday home usage in the future. I can always use the DAC in the IM or iBasso I pick up now.

I've also been considering the D10. What do you guys think?
Start off with something like the IM, D3, or D10?

I think I've sold myself on the IM considering I have the Mac Book Pro and will hopefully DJing and taking it with me easily. Anyone have any input on choosing the D3 over the IM? I won't be using a iPhone or anything like that which will cause problems from what I've read.

Mar 14, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

The reason I bring up the pre-amp is because I know later along the road I'll be getting a pre-AMP for my A/V Receiver and might just use that instead of investing in a solid amp just for headphones. The concept that a A/V Receiver doesn't power headphones well is entirely new to me.

Wondered if a A/V Receiver doesn't power headphones well does separates power headphones better/or same with the Pre-AMP than a regular A/V Receiver. Have old family relative that I might inherit a nice big pre-amp that powers their enormous condo on the beach.

Chances are I might pick up the IM because it's only $100 and seems like decent little entry DAC/AMP. I'm getting back into DJing and want to start producing. I have a new 15" Mac Book Pro so might just use that if DJ somewhere. Thing is I have two PCs at home and one of them has an Onkyo receiver and the other has my Sony receiver that does my HD decoding. While right now I have budget of $200 for AMP it seems like might be in best interest to pick up a portable rig that I can use for any use and improve sound quality on the D2000's. Later on maybe pick up a standalone desktop DAC & AMP. Unless of course I can get a standalone desktop DAC + portable AMP for around $200.

Some of these amplifiers use an internal dedicated headphone circuit, some would use a network of resistors to step down the power from the main amplifier. For the later, in theory, would not be a good idea for low impedance headphones. As to which implementation actually performs better there's really no way to predict and you have to listen to the individual models for yourself. But IME, the better sounding ones could well rival lower end dedicated headphone amp.

As for a portable unit, in general price performance ratio tends to be lower, and get it when you really need the portability factor.

Mar 14, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of these amplifiers use an internal dedicated headphone circuit, some would use a network of resistors to step down the power from the main amplifier. For the later, in theory, would not be a good idea for low impedance headphones. As to which implementation actually performs better there's really no way to predict and you have to listen to the individual models for yourself. But IME, the better sounding ones could well rival lower end dedicated headphone amp.

As for a portable unit, in general price performance ratio tends to be lower, and get it when you really need the portability factor.

Thanks for the info about the Pre-AMP. Discovered this with more research. Just seems like a bad idea the more and more I read about it.

The price performance ratio is lower but haven't really seen a desktop AMP/DAC for around $100. It seems like the IM in my research of reviews and peoples comments is solid for entry. I have the fullest intentions of later on picking up a full-size headphone AMP & DAC. Right now I know I might not be getting the best bang for a buck but at least its something to start with that is only $100. Once I save up to spend a decent amount on a quality desktop AMP & DAC I will.

Sucks to be on college students budget.

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Mar 14, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Thanks for the info about the Pre-AMP. Discovered this with more research. Just seems like a bad idea the more and more I read about it.

The price performance ratio is lower but haven't really seen a desktop AMP/DAC for around $100. It seems like the IM in my research of reviews and peoples comments is solid for entry. I have the fullest intentions of later on picking up a full-size headphone AMP & DAC. Right now I know I might not be getting the best bang for a buck but at least its something to start with that is only $100. Once I save up to spend a decent amount on a quality desktop AMP & DAC I will.

Sucks to be on college students budget.

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

If you can go up to a max of $200, you can get the aforementioned DIY amps (some can be had for under $100) and some DIY DAC design like Alien DAC, Gamma 1 and etc (some can be had for under $100 too). And the performance you get is likely not going to be matched by commercial offerings.

Unlike commercial offerings, DIY designs are open and thus often scrutinised by the community. Also any DIYers takes pride in their work and use only quality components, while the same can not be said for low cost amps.

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #29 of 34
I have the ibasso D2 and I must say they make a quality product anything from them would seem good.

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #30 of 34
I think I've made up my mind... Going with the IM portable AMP. It's $100 and seems like great bargain for entry level gear.

When get the extra cash I can justify getting a dedicated AMP and dedicated DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back