Looking to buy first headphone AMP
Feb 28, 2009 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

jayxem

New Head-Fier
This is my first post so plz be easy on the noob.

I'm looking to invest in entry level headphone setup.
I am really into home audio and take pride on having a great setup being a college student. I was disappointed to find out how terrible AV Receivers are for powering headphones. Now I'm willing to take a dive into getting a separate AMP for a new pair of headphones. My main AV Receiver is a Sony STRDG1000. Are they really that bad at powering headphones compared to dedicated headphone amps?

With little research I've found the HeadRoom Total BitHead AMP to be a decent deal. Would like to get a desktop setup but considering this is my first headphone AMP I believe that portable might be the way for now (and for my wallet now). Would this be a good buy or any other recommendations for budget being around $150. I like how it has a DAC.

I'm also looking to get a set of headphones.
I currently use to own Sony MDR-V700 DJ headphone and found the sound to be not on par as I thought they would be. Not to mention they were extremely uncomfortable for long periods of time.

The two I've narrowed it down to are the Grado SR80 & Denon D1001.
Going to post in the headphone thread to see if these will fit my musical taste (Dubstep & Trip-Hop) the best. Budget for headphones would be $100-$150.

Thanks!
Surprised to see how large a headphones community is. Might just suck me in.

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 34
On the headphone front, I really enjoy how trip hop sounds on my SR-60s, so I would expect the SR-80s would be about equally capable headphones. But I haven't listened to the D1001s so I'm not sure how they compare.

Mar 1, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #3 of 34
Check out this for an amp - $60 shipped.

I've got one on its way in the mail right now. Fantastic guy, well-reviewed, hand-built product. Gary rocks!

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #4 of 34
As an owner of both the Icon Mobile and a very old model Total Bithead, I highly recommend the Nuforce Icon Mobile over the HeadRoom Total Bithead, hands down superior.

-Ed

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 34
since you arent looking for a portable amp, maybe post in the fullsize amps section; you are likely to get more answers in there that are suitable. and less like this one
tongue.gif
neither of your questions are in the right forum. if you can stretch to just over $200 you could get Denon D2000 and they sound wicked with your style of music. great bass performance.

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
since you arent looking for a portable amp, maybe post in the fullsize amps section; you are likely to get more answers in there that are suitable. and less like this one
tongue.gif
neither of your questions are in the right forum. if you can stretch to just over $200 you could get Denon D2000 and they sound wicked with your style of music. great bass performance.

Thanks for the input everyone! Seems like the Denon D2000 are the way I'm going to go based on some feedback.

I'd like a desktop AMP but probably can only afford a portable one right now. That is the reason I posted in this section of the forum. From browsing around seems like the desktop AMPs start around $300 and the portable around $100-$150~.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulybatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends if you want/need a DAC or not?

I suggest if you think this is "for you"...then spend as much as you can...so you are not searching and searching for the next greatest or better sound.

Get something to grow into...

I suggest the ibasso D3
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/i...review-376315/

Thanks for the input...
Yeah this is totally for me from just reading a few post on the site.
Totally blown away how large the community is and so helpful!

I'll most likely start with a portable for now and then once my heart falls in love with how everything sounds like I dreamed it to sound I'll move to a solid full AMP. Going to spend more time researching.

Thanks again for the tip on the ibasso D3!

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As an owner of both the Icon Mobile and a very old model Total Bithead, I highly recommend the Nuforce Icon Mobile over the HeadRoom Total Bithead, hands down superior.

-Ed

Does the Icon Mobile double as AMP & DAC if connected via USB?

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #11 of 34
It sure does! That's why I recommended in particular. I own a P-51 Mustang, which is a stellar sounding amp, but does not include a DAC stage, which necessitates keeping the Icon Mobile for my laptop.

-Ed

Mar 10, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #12 of 34
Thanks Ed!
With a bit more research I think I'll finally pull the trigger.

The reason for not picking up the iBasso is due to the fact that you need to use the battery's to power the DAC while hooked up to the USB. I understand from a powers perspective it doesn't work as efficient solely on USB power but right now I'm willing to sacrifice that for my entry level AMP/DAC. Do you need to have batteries in the Icon Mobile to run both AMP/DAC or does USB power both?

I've picked up the Denon D2000 yesterday. Looking forward to get all my gear for this.
It might be a portable rig but for around $300~ my goal was reached. Solid cans and decent AMP/DAC.

Will definitely be following the community for awhile and wait till I save up for a real setup.

Thanks for all the input so far!

Mar 10, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayxem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Do you need to have batteries in the Icon Mobile to run both AMP/DAC or does USB power both?

The Icon Mobile has a builtin rechargeable lithium-ion battery that charges any time USB is attached, regardless of mode (on or off).

-Ed

Mar 10, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #14 of 34
the amp section will be powered off battery and the dac off USB if its anything like all the other dac/a,ps i've seen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back