Looking to buy CDP in Guangzhou or Hong Kong
Jun 23, 2008 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JZImages

New Head-Fier
Going to be in Guangzhou and Hong Kong in a couple weeks. I'm planning on buying a CDP while I'm there. Does anyone have any suggestions on where and what CDP? Looking to spend sub $750USD. Thanks in advance. At the moment I'm using a Marantz CD5001 to a WooAudio WA6 with AKG K701. I feel the CDP is the weakest link now, so I want to upgrade
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 6
I'm sure you can find Consonance CD120T Linear there for cheap! Even in the States, it's less than $1K. It sounds pretty awesome. I had a Cambridge Audio 840C in my system before and if I had to choose, I'd choose the Consonance CD120T Linear, no question. 840C has more features, including digital in, but if you're only looking purely for the best sounding CD playback for the money, Consonance is pretty phenomenal. Very underrated, under-known, although it won the Product of the Year from Hi-Fi+ in 2006, beating out all those mega-expensive components.

Jun 23, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 6
I would also consider the Original CD2008MKII. Though I've only heard my modded unit, they reportedly sound quite nice stock as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #4 of 6
If you intend to take it back with you outside of China, please keep in mind that you could be slapped with Customs charges at your port of entry upon return home. Especially if you have the original packaging with you. Do your research on this to be sure.
I tend to ask the Hong Kong shop keeper do do me an invoice for $50, even if it costs $1000 in reality, with the product name and model clearly stated on the invoice. So I can flash that at Customs and if they ask for import duty I only have to pay on the $50
wink.gif
. I hope this info helps.

Sep 1, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 6
For people looking for CD Players in Guangzhou: There is a ton of audio stores in the Haiyin Electronics and Xingzhiguang Electric Town area in Dashatou area. You'll find low end to high end equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back