Looking to buy budget Desktop Amp for DT 880s
Feb 2, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #17 of 25
You will need a RCA cable, monoprice sells some cheap, Then you will need a Coxial or a optical cable, to plug your onboard Digital out into the Fiio D3.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #20 of 25
Well you need a Toslink out. There's usually a port on the motherboard (look for one that glows red) or sometimes it's available via mini-Toslink. If you have neither, some motherboards support a S/PDIF Out header for which you'll need an expansion bracket. Some motherboards don't even support that--in which case you'll need either a USB-to-S/PDIF converter or a sound card. Also double-check for a lone orange RCA port--which is for S/PDIF coax.

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #21 of 25

Quote:
Well you need a Toslink out. There's usually a port on the motherboard (look for one that glows red) or sometimes it's available via mini-Toslink. If you have neither, some motherboards support a S/PDIF Out header for which you'll need an expansion bracket. Some motherboards don't even support that--in which case you'll need either a USB-to-S/PDIF converter or a sound card. Also double-check for a lone orange RCA port--which is for S/PDIF coax.

Dumb question, but do I need more cables than what I have currently?

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #22 of 25
Temporarily, keep using what you've got. Looks like it's hooked up correctly. When you get that Toslink cable, plug it into the port right below the top USB ports.

BTW: TX750? Not a bad choice. I've got one in my main. And watercooling? Baaaaad: you should put together an all-internal loop. Having external radiators is so 2006!

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #23 of 25

Quote:
Temporarily, keep using what you've got. Looks like it's hooked up correctly. When you get that Toslink cable, plug it into the port right below the top USB ports.
BTW: TX750? Not a bad choice. I've got one in my main. And watercooling? Baaaaad: you should put together an all-internal loop. Having external radiators is so 2006!

I have the Toslink cable. Is that all I need to connect the DAC?

The radiator, runs cooler on the outside of the case. :p

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #24 of 25
Yes--just use the Toslink cable. Definitely unplug the 3.5mm-to-RCA cable.

The radiator just looks clumsy there. Plus, one could run it as an intake. The heat would be there regardless (watercooling only adds a few watts of power consumption) so there's no harm in using slightly heated air to cool the much hotter motherboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back