Looking to buy budget Desktop Amp for DT 880s
Jan 12, 2012 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

nordy

New Head-Fier
So, from what I've read, I need to buy an amp to better utilize these headphones. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money, however I have no idea how much money is "too little" when buying an amp. Basically I want to get the best bang for my buck. By budget is around $100.

Also, I need to get a 6' 1/8 extension cable for these headphones. Does it matter which one I get?

Thanks!

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 25
What devices are you going to be plugging the headphone amplifier and headphones in to?

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 25
Good prices for cables at Monoprice.

Goes the Fiio E9 goes for around $100.
but your still using the low quality DAC built into the motherboard.

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 25

Quote:
Do I need a soundcard?

If all your doing is music, then an external USB/DAC/headphone amplifier is fine, (HiFiman EF2A tube headphone amplifier).
Gaming and movies are better using a sound card (surround sound), they also do music too.
I'm an Xonar sound card fan (Essence STX) which does everything fairly well, but that's $180.
But would be the best sound card for powering Beyerdynamic DT880 (Premium or Pro) 250-Ohm headphones.

One low cost device is a single tube headphone amplifiers sold on eBay, ships from China, takes 10 days.
Prices start out at $45, better ones start at $75, even better (Indeed G3) go for $120.
You would also need a digital multi-meter (DT830) which start at around $7
to make fine voltage adjustments to these Chinese ampsto bring out their best.
You can always add an external DAC like the Fiio D3 for around $30.

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 25

Quote:
If all your doing is music, then an external USB/DAC/headphone amplifier is fine, (HiFiman EF2A tube headphone amplifier).
Gaming and movies are better using a sound card (surround sound), they also do music too.
I'm an Xonar sound card fan (Essence STX) which does everything fairly well, but that's $180.
But would be the best sound card for powering Beyerdynamic DT880 (Premium or Pro) 250-Ohm headphones.

One low cost device is a single tube headphone amplifiers sold on eBay, ships from China, takes 10 days.
Prices start out at $45, better ones start at $75, even better (Indeed G3) go for $120.
You would also need a digital multi-meter (DT830) which start at around $7
to make fine voltage adjustments to these Chinese ampsto bring out their best.
You can always add an external DAC like the Fiio D3 for around $30.

I heard that the G3 isn't so great, and I'm also concerned about having to buy new tubes. I'd prefer if I could just buy an amp and be done with it. Anyone have an opinion on the tc-7510?

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #8 of 25
I don't know what you heard about G3, it's not a big improvement in sound quality over G2, but it sounds pretty good with russian Electro Harmonix tubes (6922EH, ECC82EH), just stay away from chinese one (6N11).

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 25
Go to the website Rockgrotto, they have several threads on these tube amps from China.
My Muse EH 6922 matches my Essence STX for sound quality.

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #12 of 25
You might find deals on Matrix M-Stage like I did in the Sell section forum for $210. That would be a good choice for your DT880s, It was a choice I made for my DT880 pro-250s. Just gotta wait for it to come.

Jan 21, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:
Do I need a soundcard?

If you are looking for a sound card, the Xonar Essence ST (PCI) or STX (PCIe) does not only have a good DAC, but also a headphone amplifier based on the same chip as the FiiO E9, with the same maximum power output, so you may save the cost of that. By the way, what impedance version of the DT880 do you have ?

Jan 21, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #14 of 25

Quote:
If you are looking for a sound card, the Xonar Essence ST (PCI) or STX (PCIe) does not only have a good DAC, but also a headphone amplifier based on the same chip as the FiiO E9, with the same maximum power output, so you may save the cost of that. By the way, what impedance version of the DT880 do you have ?

250 Ohm

Would I get better sound out of that soundcard or a $200 amp?

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:
250 Ohm
Would I get better sound out of that soundcard or a $200 amp?

It depends on what $200 amp, but it should drive them fine. If you do plan to buy an external amplifier, then a cheaper Xonar card (e.g. the D2 or D2X) with line outs only would probably be OK, too, as DACs those are still quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back