Looking to buy a used CDP for office
Jan 10, 2007 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Clutz

Tells us when we're offset.
I'm looking to buy a used CD player for my office (which also happens to be my main) rig. Currently I use a NONOS USB DAC designed by dsavitsk, but I'm interested in getting a dedicated CDP to use too. There are several different options I'm considering, but I'm having difficulty deciding which I should go with.

The options I'm considering are: Marantz CD63SE, Arcam Alpha One, Arcam Alpha 8, Denon DCD2560, or a Rotel RCD-855.

What do you recommend and why? I think the Arcam Alpha One is the lowest on my list, and my top three are probably the Arcam Alpha 8, the Denon DCD2560 and the Rotel RCD-855 but i'm looking for input. d
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks,
Clutz

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you recommend and why? I think the Arcam Alpha One is the lowest on my list, and my top three are probably the Arcam Alpha 8, the Denon DCD2560 and the Rotel RCD-855 but i'm looking for input.

There isn't much in it quality wise between Marantz and the older Arcams. I have lived with both at the same time. The Alpha one is multibit so will have a more upfront sound than the other machines mentioned, quite similar sounding to a Marantz CD65/CD75.

The Marantz CD63SE or 63KIS are renowned classics but most Marantz machines are a good buy 2nd hand.

The same goes for Rotel, another popular option and all these machines are strong on timbre compared to the likes of NAD / Musical Fidelity / Cambridge Audio.

I wouldn't get too hung up on seeking out specific models unless you are going for a real top of the range set like the Marantz CD94, where you are really paying for build quality.

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 6
Okay, what if I introduce price into the equation. I can get a Rotel RCD855 for about $130, a Arcam Alpha One for about $130, an Arcam Alpha 8 for about $300, or the Denon DCD2560 for about $250

Jan 10, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 6
What if I add an NAD 541i to the list? Right now i feel like the Arcam Alpha One, Arcam Alpha 8, and NAD 541i are on the top of my list.

Jan 10, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back