Looking to buy a small boat - advice from ppl /w experience please!
Jun 25, 2005 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Alexhifi

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for a boat under 20'. I've been looking into Yamaha Exciters, Yamaha XR1800s, Sea Ray FX16s, or any other well known boats.

Does anyone have any advice for a completely novice boater? I am mechanically inclined from my automotive hobby. I do not have a truck to tow it though (and don't intend to buy one). I don't care if it is a jet or a prop boat .
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, I live around the DC area if that helps.

-Alex

Jun 26, 2005 at 12:59 PM Post #7 of 25
Interesting. Besides them being insanely ugly, they look to be a quality boat!
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm not sure they are popular around me as I've not seen one for sale. Whole bunch of Bayliner's for sale.

Do you own a Boston Whaler?

-Alex

Jun 27, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #9 of 25
Have worked around/in boats and ships since I was in High school - now retired, I offer this Golden Nugget of Wisdom, with a full, double your money back guarantee, "the best way to enjoy boats and boating, is to enjoy someone else's boat".

If you must have your own, I have used Boston Whalers in rough seas, commercial duty, and have used them after they have been used to train hundreds of Midshipmen how to land (Dock) a craft...they are like Timexes...they can really take full-on professional beatings and still keep you safe, year after year.

Jun 27, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #10 of 25
Well, my two cents for what it's worth.

Living on the lake, I guess I've had a bit of time with various boats. Some good names dropped so far but IMO, if you want tremendous quality, durability and service like few others, consider Cobalt. A bit pricey but you get what you pay for. My current runabout is the 226 with a duo prop.

Cobalt 226

I know you want to stay under 20' but they do have a 20 footer and again, the quality is superb. Check the site and take a look at the build quality.

Jun 27, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy
Have worked around/in boats and ships since I was in High school - now retired, I offer this Golden Nugget of Wisdom, with a full, double your money back guarantee, "the best way to enjoy boats and boating, is to enjoy someone else's boat".

If you must have your own, I have used Boston Whalers in rough seas, commercial duty, and have used them after they have been used to train hundreds of Midshipmen how to land (Dock) a craft...they are like Timexes...they can really take full-on professional beatings and still keep you safe, year after year.

Not only that but they sell them to the US gov't to be used on rivers by the military.

Link

Jun 27, 2005 at 11:46 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Well, my two cents for what it's worth.

Living on the lake, I guess I've had a bit of time with various boats. Some good names dropped so far but IMO, if you want tremendous quality, durability and service like few others, consider Cobalt. A bit pricey but you get what you pay for. My current runabout is the 226 with a duo prop.

Cobalt 226

I know you want to stay under 20' but they do have a 20 footer and again, the quality is superb. Check the site and take a look at the build quality.

Hey, that IS a good looking boat!

I ended up buying a Sea Ray F-16XR. My girlfriend wanted a boat, she liked it, end of story. LOL!! Got a good deal according the BUC and NADA.
rolleyes.gif
It had 11 hours on it ('99) and looked to be well maintained (garaged, etc). Bought it for $8,700...we'll see if I get burned. From what I've heard though, I can't go wrong with Sea Ray.

Thanks for all your comments.

-Alex

Jun 27, 2005 at 11:49 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy

I believe you...but I don't mind owning my own boat. I like the idea of maintaining it myself and knowing I can use it whenever I want, however I want. Just call me Skipper!

BTW, there was a service available that could use a bunch of boats...some sort of boating club. It wasn't cheap though, but you could get on some boats that I would not buy unless I was big into boating (like $60K+).

-Alex

Jun 27, 2005 at 1:09 PM Post #14 of 25
I dated a girl that has worked with the boating industry for about 9 years and knows all the major manufacturers very well. She says that Sea Ray is top-notch and that you should enjoy your boat.

Jun 27, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
I dated a girl that has worked with the boating industry for about 9 years and knows all the major manufacturers very well. She says that Sea Ray is top-notch and that you should enjoy your boat.

Excellent! Definitely helps my nervousness about it. Now I gotta find a way to get it to us (it's 150 miles away). Thankfully, her GF's dad is big into boats as well.

-Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back