Looking to buy a new amp. Any recommendations?
Jun 13, 2019 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Amish

500+ Head-Fier
The whole point of this post is to maybe find an amp or two I have not considered so I can maybe do some additional research before buying. Tubes preferred or a Hybrid.

I have a few amps in mind but wouldn't mind some recommendations if some of you are willing to provide them.

Budget: $1000 but i can stretch a bit more. I prefer to buy used as it means getting a more expensive amp at a better price.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #3 of 7
As a fellow project polaris user....I know you say tubes preferred, but holy **** the jds atom is a great little amp. It embarrasses even the polaris.

I've not heard the JDS but I have read it's praise. If I was looking for another SS amp and small of size it would be considered for sure. Stupidly cheap and performs stupidly good from what people say. I have no doubt it puts the Polaris to shame. The Polaris for what it is; is a fine little amp but I have never considered it amazing. In fact mine has spent most of it's life in storage. I only just recently decided to place it back into rotation. I just prefer tube amps. The amp in my collection that gets the most use is the custom made AbraxasAudio 6CL6. Never thought the 6CL6 tube would be good for music but ...it is. Such a sweet sounding amp BUT it cannot power my LCD2 cans so I'm limited to headphone choices and usually that means I just run the HD600 headphones with it.

Jun 15, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #7 of 7
@jbarrentine

LAFIGARO 339 with RCA red hots and Tungsol 5998s from Woo Audio.

Been looking at this amp for a year or so...decided now was a good time to buy considering his price. He lives close to me so will be meeting him tomorrow to make the deal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back