Looking to buy a keyboard to "jam" on
Aug 2, 2006 at 1:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

KevC

100+ Head-Fier
Heya,
I have an upright piano at home, it's nice and heavy (keys). However, I want to buy a small cheap keyboard to "jam" for fun with my friends (i know a guitarist, bassist, vocalist...). Of course they could always come over to my living room but I don't think my family would appreciate that =)

Anyway since this is just for fun, I'm looking for the cheapest thing possible. I have found this:

M-Audio Keystation 49e. Powered by USB. Volume slider, octave+/-, pitch bend wheel and modulation wheel. Looks just right. Thoughts?

What do I need to output to an amp? I'll bring my laptop, no problem. Should I bring my DAC and a RCA to 1/4th adaptor to output to a guitar amp? What software should I use to just "play"?

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 5
Well the E-mu Xboard49 is pretty cheap, the only thing I hate about it is the cheap buttons on them (well you get what you pay for I guess).

You could use any audio program that supports VST (Ableton Live, Fruityloops, Cubase etc)

Or if you don't like VST you can use Reason which has a nice amount of samples and presets that you get in the standard package.

Overall I think a standalone module like Native instruments Akoustik piano would be the best for you. That is if you only plan to use it for jamming and nothing else.

Aug 16, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevC
What software should I use to just "play"?

I had trouble with this question a while ago. I found a free piece of software called "minihost" which worked very well. It outputs asio so if you don't have an asio soundcard you need asio4all.

Aug 16, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #4 of 5
Aug 16, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 5
I personally like my MicroKORG, but I've also been looking at the Alesis Micrion, they both seem like cool little keyboards. I don't know muchabout plain MIDI keyboards (though both the microkorg and micrion have midi support)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back