Looking to buy a Gibson SG but not quite sure what to get
May 9, 2006 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jerb

Headphoneus Supremus
My B-day's coming up and my parents have decided to buy me a guitar. I've played acoustic for a year-year and a half but the electric aspect of guitars is new to me.

I went to one of the (fairly) local guitar shops and played a few, didn’t see many I liked; only a few shecter's caught my eye. Then I saw the rack of Gibson SG's and tried one, I fell in love with it on the spot. I came here and looked around and found there was lots of love for the SG's here on this forum, I then went on eBay to price on out but I realized I have no idea what I'm looking for.

Am I better off buying one of the '05 '06 models from the store for ~$900 or should I eBay for a used one?

What should I be looking for in a SG? Any years that they were particularly good?

May 9, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 17
I would look for an older one, say late 60's or early 70's. My brother in law had one with the bigsby bar and sold it
mad.gif
That was one beautiful guitar and the tone! Man it had the tone!
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 17
May 9, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 17
May 10, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 17
My favorite SG was actually a '61 Les Paul 'Lonnie Mack' with a stop tailpiece, really similar to this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-SG-61-Rei...QQcmdZViewItem

This assumes you want humbuck over P-90, and want a bit wider neck... to me, that is the classic SG.

Without knowing your budget, I would only strongly suggest you get a stop tailpiece, as the various whammy types always have intonation issues (you'll spend more time tuning than playing)...

May 10, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #9 of 17
my budget is anywhere from $500 - $900 (maybe a little more)

I really like the SG style body more so than the les paul

also, it seems stupid, but whats the difference between the p-90's and a humbucker?

May 10, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #10 of 17
actually, I hate the sg's. feels like a thin plank of plywood, and its top heavy so it doesn't balance right on the knee. Always seemed to me like a guitar for angus young fans. Now the les paul, thats a fine guitar. If you can't tell the difference between p90's and normal humbuckers, perhaps you should consider an epiphone sg, which I believe is the cheapest in their lineup at around $150

May 10, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #11 of 17
Its not that I can’t tell the difference (that requires having actually heard them) rather I'm coming from an acoustic background where most of these things aren’t applicable. I've played a few of these guitars in store but I'm afraid I don’t know exactly what I’m looking for as most of these things are new to me. I remember seeing tons of SG love in the 'post your guitar' thread so I thought it best to post my questions here, hoping that someone could tell me what the difference between all these guitars was

May 10, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #12 of 17
The P-90 is a single pole pickup, while the humbuck is double pole (for a little more punch / overtones), with a different sound for each.

The Epiphone isn't a bad suggestion, especially if you are a bit ambivalent at the moment. You can recoup most of your money on a resell later if you go used (true in either case - Epi or Gibson), so try to get to a shop to play some different ones, and note the differences in sound.

This also will depend heavily on your amplification / effects, but that is another thread, or ten.

May 10, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #14 of 17
You can listen to recordings of P-90s and humbuckers here:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/SDToneWizard/hummer.shtml

Of course, it's much better to go to a music store with a decent selection, play the guitars and listen to the differences.

I have a 1967 Gibson ES-330 that has P-90s. Great guitar, and great sound, but unusable in some situations because of the hum that the P-90s generate.

May 10, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by megawzrd
If you can get a hold of a vintage guild s100 that would be a better guitar. They are highly rated but rare (not as mass produced) sg style guitars.

QFT. I have an s100 and it kicks the d out of any SG I've ever played (certainly the entry level stuff you'd see at Guitar Center). They have a lot more wood to them so they get better sustain and resonance (IMO). They typically go for 600-700 on eBay when you can find them.

One of the really annoying things I've noticed on the cheaper new SG's is the fret finishing. It's terrible. I would defintely check out an older model, but I understand that buying a guitar on eBay (especially it being your first electric) would probably be intimidating. I second the Epiphone suggestion. Get to know electric guitars, what you like, what you don't. Then you should feel a lot more confident purchasing something a bit more expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back