Looking to build a new neutral rig for home listening, could use recommendations
Aug 31, 2012 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DougofTheAbaci

1000+ Head-Fier
My current setup is a set of Denon AH-D2000's, some Heir Audio 4.A's and a Leckerton UHA-6S MKII. Listening is done through my iMac with mostly lossless audio or 256+ AACs. My music tastes tend to the rock, jazz or soundtracks, but I listen to pretty much everything to some degree.

I love my 4.A's, the sound is pretty much perfect. However, I want something a bit easier to take off/put on for when I'm sitting at home listening to my music. These will be strictly for home use and I'm not too worried about sound bleed in either direction, so I'm open to open-back headphone.

The reason I'm replacing the Denon's is, compared to the 4.A, they're a bit weak in the mids. I'd like to upgrade to something with an emphasis on neutral. I do like some bass in my headphones, but the kind of bass that comes from the music and not any sort of coloration from the headphone itself. Sort of a "if it's in the music then I hear it, otherwise I don't". That's my favorite thing about my 4.A's, they play everything very well and only play what's in the music. That's what I'd like but in larger headphone form.

In terms of form factor, I'd like over-ears, similar to my Denon's. I also have a relatively big head so I'm not worried about the weight of a headphone being a problem. In terms of size, my Denons fit me wonderfully.

Now, I'm also looking to start leaving my Leckerton at the office where I work and having something else for home use, which means a new DAC/amp (either individual components or a single unit). I'd also like something with a good audio-out, pre-amp or not, so I can plug my external speakers into it. This isn't a make-or-break point, just something I'm keeping in mind.

Last thing, in terms of budget I'd like to keep the whole thing below $1,000 if I can, but I'm willing to push up to $1,200 for a truly stellar setup. That's headphones, DAC and amp (or single DAC/amp unit).

One headphone I'd considered was the HE-500. I've started reading through some of the reviews but what is the word on these? Good for what I'm looking for? Maybe something better in the $500-$700 range?

Aug 31, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 11
If it wasn't for the no-out I was actually looking at the Asgard. I might get the Lyr but that doesn't really leave anything left for a DAC.

One setup I'm currently thinking of (which would be just about my max budget) would be the HE-500, Schiit Asgard and a Headstreamer for a DAC. I might also just hold off on the DAC and get a Lyr instead, waiting for next pay check before I get a DAC. The reason I'm leaning towards Schiit is because a) I really like the look of their hardware and b) I've heard their amps mentioned with the HE-500 in pretty much every review.

Which is a reason I'm debating going HE-500, Lyr and then next paycheck getting a Bifrost. It's more than I was planning on spending, but the Schiit gear has a 5 year warranty and the HE-500 a 3 year. That makes me a little more comfortable.

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 11
Heya,

Hifiman HE-500 with a NFB 12.1 (or later) would be my suggestion to you. Covers all bases completely and forever essentially.

Alternatively, the HE-400 with any DAC/AMP unit you can think of, as it doesn't need much power compared to it's bigger brother, but it still responds well to loads of current thrown at it, as an ortho. Also consider the Beyer DT880 600ohm setup with a Valhalla or similar tube perhaps. Also look into the Sennheiser HD600 as well in that same setup. Another consideration is the AKG Q701, again on similar setup. Also the AudioTechnica AD2000 could be considered, again, on similar setup.

Very best,

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 11
I'll definitely take a deeper look into those, but at this point I'm almost sold on the HE-500. From what I'm hearing, they really do seem to be the best in the price bracket and I really like the look of them. Though, before I make my final decision I need to look a bit more into solid state v. tube amps and see what I can expect there.

Sometimes I think researching headphones is almost more fun than actually having them... Almost.

Sep 4, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 11
Heya,

And on the note of source gear, I have the Bifrost/Asgard/Lyr and the NFB12. And I can easily recommend the NFB12 when you compare it's about $200ish compared to $900ish. I don't hear much of a difference that I can't just claim is signature sound of a different piece of equipment. One didn't sound better than the other. So I can easily suggest the NFB12 at a fraction of the cost of most other setups that are capable of fully pushing the HE-500 to full dynamism.

The HE500 is fast, neutral but warm, a touch of sparkle, but not too bright, extends deep into the low sub bass regions without breaking a sweat, with the best mids you can get.

I've tried tubes & solid state, and honestly, I don't get the big deal with tubes. End of the day, I just like a setup that does the quality without the added cost and without added future cost or maintenance. So a simple but good solid state setup with an exquisite headphone like the HE500 is simply too good not to recommend as it's cost is only $900ish brand new retail, and can be had for as low as $700ish used, and it's a world class high-end that competes with other flag ships. It's not an "entry" headphone into high-end. It is high-end. Simply another flavor. And hifiman's flavor simply divine.

Very best,

Sep 4, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
The current street price of the HE-500 is $699, it was $899 about a year or so ago.

Heya,

Listed costs included the DAC/AMP. $700+200 for $900 new for a HE-500 + NFB12.

I got my HE-500 back when it was $900 by itself. Stung a little when it dropped $200, lol.

Very best,

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 11
Something funky is going on. I have posted in this thread more than once only to find out it didn't actually go through. This site is in need of an overhaul. >.<

Anyway, as of last night I ordered an HE-500 and a Schiit Lyr. I looked into the NFB12 but I saw a bunch of mixed reviews. Some people said it was great, some people said it was over priced even as low as it was. Given that I'd have to order it from China, which would make returns very difficult, I'd rather not risk it. As for the DAC, I am leaning towards the Bifrost but I may go with a different, cheaper DAC, if I find one I like.

I'll report back with my impressions, experience and so forth when all my new toys arrive.

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #11 of 11
The amp and headphones arrived on Friday. First impressions were the bass was very weak and there was a hefty amount of background noise. However, on a hunch, I left my headphone running for a couple of hours when I went out. Between that and normal listening, the bass has really filled out.

I also tried direct out of my iPhone to the amp instead of my iMac and the noise decreased to almost nothing. So my guess is that the noise I'm hearing is entirely from my computer and a DAC will fix that.

To that end, I ordered a Bifrost. It has all the features I want in a DAC and has a good price for offering. I'll report back with further impressions when my DAC arrives. So far, very pleased!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back