Looking to add speakers to my system.
Dec 29, 2009 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Bohemianism

100+ Head-Fier
So I've assembled my headphone rig now and am thoroughly enjoying my hifi experience. However I'm a social person and headphone are an intrinsically solo experience. So I'm now looking begin the proccess of adding speakers.
This is where I need a bit of help (just like I did with getting headphones)

I want the speakers to sound as good, preferably better than my headphones.

I listen to quite a lot of genres but mostly rock (classic through to today)
then (not in order)
Blues
Hip Hop/Rap
Classical
RnB/Soul
Pop

Right now I'm looking at a few. My favorites so far are Harbeth SuperHL5 although I don't know too much about sound differences at the moments, so far it's based mostly on emotion.

Starting with the Harbeth SuperHL5's, how do those with experience thing they'll go with my music genres.

Dec 29, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 7
harbeths are definitely awesome if you listen to music for long periods of time. perfect for social occasions because of how forgiving and relaxing they sound. i use Adam A7 monitors myself.. and they don't fade into the background quite as well as the harbeths do. that said, i was listening to $15000 worth of equipment with the harbeths so that might have been an unfair comparison.

i've never been that much of a headphone guy... tried out the hd650 with predator for a couple weeks, and had ue trip fis for half a year.. and all of that didn't come close to the kind of satisfaction i'm getting with a speaker set up. headphones have nothing at all on speakers imo.

the harbeths are definitely are a good choice - forgiving and very pleasant to listen to.. and yet capable of a great deal of detail. my friend uses a dac1 pre and the harbeths sound just as detailed as studio monitors.

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 7
I always want a pair of full size Tannoy prestige. For $11000 USD, I could get a pair of tannoy glenair 15 with left over money for music. I heard them in HongKong Hi-Fi store. glenair 15 stole my heart.

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 7
Some of this depends on the rest of your system, source, amp etc. What do you have to drive them. The Harbeths are superb speakers however.

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of this depends on the rest of your system, source, amp etc. What do you have to drive them. The Harbeths are superb speakers however.

Well I have a Rega Apollo and I'm about to add a VPI Scout.
As of now I've just got headphones and a headphone amp.
So I don't have an amp for the speakers yet. I figure I'll start with the speakers as they're more important and them match an amp once I've got an idea.

Jan 2, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 7
If you are able to buy the speakers and amp together you may do better as I do find that the pairing of the two is extremely important. Are some places where you live where you can do this? BTW, the scout is outstanding for analog but get a great phono stage to make it sing. Also, what cartridge and tone arm are you thinking of getting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back