Looking to add some flavor - something bassier than Mad Dog
Apr 20, 2015 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

imahawki

100+ Head-Fier
I love my Mad Dogs, for all the reasons people typically do.  But I'm looking for something to add (not replace) to my stable that's a little bassier.  I still want tight, clean bass, but a little more.  If possible, I'd like to try something open or semi-open but recognize that that might be anathema with "more bass".

Budget is $200-$250 and they will be powered by a Schiit Bifrost and Lyr.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 9
Have you tried using EQ to boost the bass? If so, how much bass boost do you have to add and at what frequencies to get the amount of bass you want? That would give people some idea of what kind of bass increase you are looking for.

Apr 20, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 9
That's a great question.  I have played with the EQ in iTunes with no real success because when I boost the lower frequencies, the Mad Dogs don't appear to put out any significantly more bass they just start to distort.  The contrast I can make that would be what I'm looking for but a little too extreme and otherwise not as refined as I would like is my Sennheiser Momentum on-ear.  Those things thump on rap and hip-hop music where the Mad Dogs do not.  So I would say I'm looking to add quite a bit more bass, maybe even a "bass head" type of can for when I'm in the mood for that kind of sonic signature. 

The Momentum work as a portable headphone for me  but if I could find something fairly bassy like the Senns but a little tighter and a little more refined in a full size can that would benefit from more power for my desktop setup that would be ideal.

Apr 20, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #4 of 9
I should also add, I am currently powering the MDs off a Magni/Modi stack, the Bifrost/Lyr was just ordered.  I will probably wait to hear if the bass picks up any with the new DAC and amp but most likely I think I just want a second, less neutral, less "reference" set of cans for when I want more bass.

Apr 20, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #6 of 9
Oh, and I have not heard your headphones, but the HE-400s might be worth considering for a headphone with a bit more bass coloring.

Apr 20, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #9 of 9
I'd look into the DT770 for bassier coloered headphones. I think they are a step up from my M50s (I have not heard the M50X, but apparently same drivers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back