Looking to add an amp to my computer
Feb 16, 2013 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

mvalpreda

Head-Fier
Currently I have a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 that I have had for a while. Not being satisfied with the sound, I decided to go a little overboard. I picked up some brand new Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 45s for a steal and was able to hook those up in place of the Klipsch satellites. It is a bit hokey though. The control for the Klipsch is meant to go on the speakers and it is just hanging out. It's time to clean it up a bit and get a dedicated amp for the Def Techs.

I figured I would continue to use the sub from the Klipsch and set the sub and volume controls to a good level and tuck the control module away. I have a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer SB0770 7.1-Channel PCI Sound Card and was going to go from the sub out to the sub and the L/R to the new amp.

Was looking around at different amps and there are a lot to choose from. Room is not a major concern and would like to find something in the $300 range for the amp. I am not a gamer and primarily looking for sound quality. I saw some posts about the Lepai LP-2020A+, but thought that might be a tad underpowered. I'm open to USB DAC or tube setup as long as they don't break the bank. :)

Any input is most appreciated!

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 24
How about this:

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/a100

I don't own one so I can't recommend it, but from what I've read, you may want to put it on your list for consideration in that price range.

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 24
That looks nice. In doing some reading I think I might be best off getting a USB DAC so I get the best sound possible.

I saw the Neuhaus T-1 and T-2 and they look pretty slick. Maybe a tad more than I want to spend though.
http://www.neuhauslabs.com/t1amplifier/
http://www.neuhauslabs.com/amplifiers/

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 24
Here's a tube hybrid with a lower price...

http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/tube_magic_a1

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:
Oooooo...that is really nice! Does someone make something just like that with a DAC?

I'm sure there are some out there. Personally, I'd prefer to keep the DAC separate from the amp. It allows you a lot more flexibility down the road when you get upgrade-itis.

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 24
I can appreciate that. This is just my home office machine and while I have room, I don't want to go too crazy with equipment. Willing to pay a bit more for something that does everything I am looking for. Going from the included speakers to those SM45s is already a bit crazy.

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #9 of 24
Get an ODAC. It's about half the size of an iPhone if you get the 3.5mm stereo version (but a little thicker). Really tiny. You could easily hide it behind whatever amp you get. Consider one of the best DACs at its price by a lot of people on head-fi. Here's a review thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/611778/brief-odac-impressions

Add that to the Emotiva mini-X a-100 and you'd have a kickass combination.

For an all in one setup, also check out the Teac AH01-S.

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 24
$200 speakers and $300+ for an amp, that doesnt make sense to spend more on an amp then the speakers. Look on craigslist for a used avr ($50-$100) and then use the money you saved on a sub

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #12 of 24
$400 in speakers! :wink:

An AVR would be a tad large. I think the answer to this might be this:

DAC to mini-X a-100
mini-X a-100 powered outputs to SM45s
mini-X a-100 RCA outputs to subwoofer (probably a ProSub 800)

I'm guessing the output on the RCA is variable tied the volume on the front knob?

I think I'll just ditch the Klipsch completely. Stupid projects. :)

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #13 of 24
I'm thinking I have hit a snag in my plan. If I have a DAC, all the audio is going to go through that....rendering my sound card mute. I lose my sub connected to the SoundBlaster.

The Klipsch Promedia 2.1 has a 2 channel connection to your computer (not 2.1). Any amp will need to connect the same way to your sound card. Plus, the subwoofer probably has a built in crossover that is pretty high (if it has one) because those Promedia speakers do not have big drivers. So you can split 2 channel audio out on the sound card (or a DAC) so that you can send the left channel to an amp and the sub, and the same for the left channel. However, you may get some double bassing because the StudioMonitor45s go much lower than the Promedia speakers.

For best SQ, probably shouldn't worry about DAC at all now and think about sub upgrade at the same time as you buy the amp. This Pioneer SW-8 is a very good entry level budget sub that is an 8" and works very well. You would have to still split the output coming from the sound card (or DAC) to an amp or receiver that doesn't have a dedicated subwoofer output and the sub. Then configure each using their volume (gain) controls, and use Windows volume control to turn the volume up and down.

$200 speakers and $300+ for an amp, that doesnt make sense to spend more on an amp then the speakers. Look on craigslist for a used avr ($50-$100) and then use the money you saved on a sub

The StudioMonitor 45s are normally $199 each, not per pair, and are very good speakers.

That being said, if the OP has room for a full sized receiver, agreed. There are often good buys on AVRs through CL. An AVR will have a dedicated subwoofer line out and bass management capabilities that allow for setting the crossover higher than the low frequency roll off of the speakers. Plus, if the computer has HDMI audio out via graphics card, that can be a good way to hook up to an AVR and use the internal DAC on the receiver.

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #14 of 24
The sound card does have optical out. That could eliminate the need for a DAC. Maybe? There is no HDMI on this, only 2x DisplayPort.

Amazing how this is spiraling out of control! At the end of the day I am going to hook up my SM45s to the computer and (now) probably get a new subwoofer. The question is how I am going to drive this all. If I can find a AVR that is small enough with a sub output, that would be acceptable.

I'd really like to be able to use the volume control on my keyboard. If I go the DAC or optical out route....do I lose the Windows volume control?

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #15 of 24
My bad, most of the time bookshelf speakers are listed as pair so I assumed the same for the Definitives. But the point I was trying to make is that spending loads on an amp isnt going to make a big difference in sound quality or output. If I was in your shoes I wouldnt spend more then $100. You say an avr is too big so thats out. So I recommend a t-amp. And yes, they have plenty of power to drive your speakers. I have the Lepai LP-2020A+ and it works great. I would use that as a starting point and work up from there. Look at parts express for t-amps and stay below $100. Then use the money saved on replacing your sub. IMO that will be the best upgrade to your system

Users who are viewing this thread

Back