Looking to add 3rd headphone to arsenal (intended for travel/airplane use)
Dec 29, 2015 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

brent75

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own the Audio Technica ATH-M50X for my full-size/over-the-ear pair, and also own the Westone W30 for my IEM pair.

The ATs I use strictly at home for on-the-couch listening and the Westones are my workout pair. I like both quite a bit and wouldn't change anything about them.

I have been using the Westones for airline travel, but I don't totally love that option for a few reasons: (1) slight hassle to get them out of bag...untangle the cord...get them situated in my ear just right...etc. (2) I don't mind at all the "in my ear" feeling while at gym or mowing or whatever, but I do mind it with changes in altitude/air pressure and whatnot that comes with an airplane. I find that the shelf life for comfort is a lot shorter than at home.

So what I'd like to get is a pair I'll use almost strictly for travel, and I'm drawn to the on-the-ear size --- something that can break down and be pretty portable, is comfortable to wear, sounds decent and all other factors being equal has the most semblance of noise isolation (since they'll be used almost 100% on airplanes). I realize that on-ear style are sort of "jack of all trades, master of none" --- so I have no illusions about studio quality sound. I listen to pretty much every genre, so can't really narrow down there.

In my hyper-fast research I've sort of stumbled upon the Bose SoundTrue on-ear model which are $104 clearance at Best Buy, and the Beats Solo 2 which are on $99 sale at Target.

Thoughts on these two brands, or others I should consider? The $100 mark with ability to scale slightly up or down seems pretty good to me.

Thanks!

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 4
The sound may not be the best, but now that the Bose QC25s are out, I think you can pick up a used pair of the QC15s for something around your price range.

I upgraded to the QC25s a few months ago, and I find them to be comfortable, sound better than decent. Like you, I only use them on the plane anyway and would highly recommend them for the use you describe.

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the suggestion.

What is the size of those -- are they over the ear, or smaller/on-the-ear?

I don't want to get if they're big...if that's the case I'd just use my ATHs instead.

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #4 of 4
  Thanks for the suggestion.

What is the size of those -- are they over the ear, or smaller/on-the-ear?

I don't want to get if they're big...if that's the case I'd just use my ATHs instead.

Not too big, over-ear without being at all massive. They fold pretty nicely into a well-designed case. Comfy, effective, decent sound (especially when lightly amped). 

I tend to agree with Nocturnal310's review in the Head Gear section:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/bose-quietcomfort-25-headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back