Looking the "one" music management software that fits my needs!
Jan 9, 2023 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

BMAN94

New Head-Fier
So for years I've been using Sony's Media Go software but it doesn't work well with modern devices as it hasn't been updated in years. One of the issues is that it will automatically convert files when trying to move music over to a new device because it is not picking it up as an audio device. It gets annoying and frustrating when I just want a software to easily sync with my portable devices and be done with it. I almost never listen to my music on my computer, and I'm always on either my Astell & Kern S25 or my HiBy R3 Pro. With that being said, I'm looking for a good software that can handle large libraries, easily keep sync music between devices (this is strangely the hardest part), and bonus if the software looks and feels good.

I've tried Media Monkey and MusicBee and I just find them okay. It's difficult to know what is or is not synced to the device you have plugged in. This makes it a chore to figure what is synced properly and what is not. Media Go shows what is already on the device and what is not, and I want to find a software that can easily display that information. Audirvana is a very nice player, but offers absolutely no syncing capabilities, which makes it a complete deal breaker for me. I'm also having problems with WinAmp on the software side. Any other suggestions that I'm not seeing here?

Jan 11, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 3
This is what I do as I have multiple devices. My main library is FLAC files (~1.2TB). My primary management software is Media Monkey, but also use Musicbee just for listening to my library when I use my PC to run my desktop HP kit. I have a nice midgrade DAP/IEM kit that uses FLAC. I have a small android DAP (MP3's) that is used for bluetooth to portable speakers. I load the same MP3 library from DAP to my phone.

What works for me has been to create folders for different music libraries. From my perspective, HD capacity is cheap. That is, I use my main flac library to copy the files I want for my portable libraries to new folders. So I have my main FLAC library that has everything. I have a FLAC DAP library (copied what I wanted to have from the main library). I copied the DAP FLAC folder to a new folder called DAP MP3 and converted them (FLAC=>MP3). When I want to update a portable kit, I just remove the memory chip and work from a file explorer program. The file structure in my PC folders for a given library is identical to the file structure in the portable library. Its as easy as coping and pasting. To try and keep the digital file transfers consistent, I use TeraCopy with verification.

Side note on how I got here: I ripped my original CD library back in the 2000's, and started with Media Monkey back when it was 2.x version to manage what I was doing. I still find it best to manage large multiple libraries. As my library got bigger and HD's got bigger and cheaper, I moved to the route of having multiple library folders.

Jan 14, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #3 of 3
So for years I've been using Sony's Media Go software but it doesn't work well with modern devices as it hasn't been updated in years. One of the issues is that it will automatically convert files when trying to move music over to a new device because it is not picking it up as an audio device. It gets annoying and frustrating when I just want a software to easily sync with my portable devices and be done with it. I almost never listen to my music on my computer, and I'm always on either my Astell & Kern S25 or my HiBy R3 Pro. With that being said, I'm looking for a good software that can handle large libraries, easily keep sync music between devices (this is strangely the hardest part), and bonus if the software looks and feels good.

I've tried Media Monkey and MusicBee and I just find them okay. It's difficult to know what is or is not synced to the device you have plugged in. This makes it a chore to figure what is synced properly and what is not. Media Go shows what is already on the device and what is not, and I want to find a software that can easily display that information. Audirvana is a very nice player, but offers absolutely no syncing capabilities, which makes it a complete deal breaker for me. I'm also having problems with WinAmp on the software side. Any other suggestions that I'm not seeing here?
Roon is likely what you want for the actual media management part. And will allow other devices to access the library remotely.
In terms of actually syncing files so that you have local copies on multiple devices, that's probably something outside the scope of a music manager itself. I personally do this using Google Drive + InSync.

That way I have my entire library on multiple devices plus a cloud backup. Also works with dropbox, onedrive etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back